Willard Hull Coring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Larry, that was interesting reading. They take the same approach as the ship building societies and other standards authorities in that they don't say you must use this or that but lay out the tests that the products must pass. The only place they specify fiber types is for making up test panels to test resin otherwise fiber specs are left pretty open. This is understandable given the thousands of fiber patterns (woven or chopped) and materials (not just glass anymore) on the market.

Up here in the Great White North I don't get involved with US commercial stuff but I am always looking to learn.

The basic concept is an oak hull has a burn rate of about 100.

Std. GRP has a burn rate of 500 .

The US Coasties require a FR resin to bring the burn rate back to 100.

With special additives the burn rate can be brought down to under 10, self extinguishing , usually done for factory ducting.

The additives will reduce the hull strength by 2-5% , easily compensated for in a structure that is about 400% overbuilt to reduce flexing.

Interesting early LLoyds GRP rules are for an ALL CSM boat , the hull thickness can then reduced for selecting better materials .

New question here. I am getting water down through one of the cleats mounted on the cap rail (port side midships) and wondered if the cap rail was cored? I am expecting not, since there would be no point in doing so. One more leak to chase down before launching this year, it's been leaking for a while but now is the time to get it handled.

A burn off test for an ex military boat , is mostly to make sure the hull is made with FR (fire retarding) resin.

UP to 6 pax a cardboard box with the USCG required items can go into business.

But to carry more folks the FR is a requirement .

For Subchapter T there are other requirements. Collision bulkhead ,,,

NONE of this ex military construction has much to do with a pleasure boat.

Willard has a great rep as a boat builder , your "surveyor"?

Don't worry , be happy , and forget about another "surveyor" attempting to justify his fees.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom