Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: Is this a Willard?

FF,

Now I am curious,* were you the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), or in the Office of Emergency Management (OEM)?

Dan

Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Eric,

I have been looking at PolyFlex.** Do you recall which type mounts you are using?* There are many,* PD, PF, PM, PH, P, .5F, .5CTF* for starters.

Also,* Have you tried one of their flexible couplings,** and do they make the orange "drive-saver"?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hi Dan,I think they make all their stuff and I have'nt used the flexible couplings. I think if one has a mount that actually absorbs vibration only a small amount of movement is required and my engine dos'nt move to the extent that it can been seen * *...even at slow speeds. With very little movement I don't think flexible couplings are of any benefit. I have experience with the PYI flexible coupling. They can be good but one must be careful which one you choose or you can damage your transmission. Ask me. And I don't know what model of engine mount I have. I'll try and find out. There is a WBO member that also has Poly Flex mounts.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hi Eric,

I have been corresponding with beta marine and they are suggesting the beta 38.* They also suggest that I spruce up the BWVD and use it as it is quite strong.* They also suggest having the rear engine mounts on the tranny.* They also have suggested a prop of 18 by 12.* And the exhaust manifold is solid.

Sounds like a good direction to me.* I am trying to get a price from them.* To include 2 panels, remote oil filter set up, 100 amp alternator, adaptor for BWVD transmission including oil cooler, and my own engine mounts.

I will contact poly-flex and se what they recommend for engine mounts.

Dan
Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
Guru

Looks like a really good engine Dan. The Kabota I had the hots for was 113 cu in 42 hp at 2800 and weighed about 550#. Marinized by Universal I wanted to come back to it but they dropped it * *... prolly didn't make tier ll. Anyway The beta 38 is a 4cyl and if you use the BW your eng/trans will be as long as mine AND as long as the Perkins (I think but maybe a bit shorter). The Beta has the water pump on the front of the engine but I assume your'e thinking to put it off to the side like my Jabsco. Yes * ...the BW is strong. It's not uncommon to see them hooked up to 300 hp engines. Does the B38 have an iron exmanifold? That would really be good. I'll look in my paperwork today and see if I can find out what Poly Flex mount I have on the Willy. Later
Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi Eric,

Pretty sure it has the cast exhaust man.* All looks good so far as I can see.* And I will check out the jabsco issue too.

We brought some folks out for the afternoon yesterday, six in the cockpit pretty cozy.* Today we had another nice day and brought Audition to Rockland where I get hauled.* (They haul me on a tavel-lift, then bring me to my house on a Brownell Hydraulic trailer)* After we got to Rockland a friend helped me lower the mast (on the tabernackle) and we got that all tied down on the house-top.

Sad to see the season come to a close, but the BW is making bad noises and getting hard to shift sometimes, and spewing more from the rear end, and I am having trouble keeping coolant in her.* I must remember to run her with antifreeze before I mothball the old girl.

Thanks in advance for the research on the engine mounts.* I am finding prices from $40 each to $140 each, but also find a lot of part numbers that don't correspond.

Dan

Dan
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #27
FF
Guru

OEM , Orig equip mfg, (AKA BOATBUILDER) equals a 50%+10% +2% discount on marine gear direct from the mfg.

A 90/90 is a motorsailor that only compromises the sail portion because of the weight of engine ,fuel and batts.

Only compromises as a motorboat by pushing a sail rig thru the air.

Foam core construction allows custom builds with minimal weight, so a motorsailer can perform well.

There is extra complexity as an indexing prop brake is required , as is a 2 blade prop .

The Herrishoff rule of 7-1 LWL to Draft allows a 33ft boat with 28 ft LWL to go most shallow places , and the full keel helps if the water gets too thin .

Sails are a far simpler way to get ocean cruising range with a smaller boat.

A Windhorse is nice , but the price tag isn't.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #28
Guru

FF,I figured it was a sailboat/powerboat thing. Perhaps a 90/10 being a 90% sailboat and 10% powerboat and then the other way around. Dan's boat being a 10/90. But how do you get over 100 * ...percent that is.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #29
Guru

Dan,Went through two stacks of old papers and nothing on mounts. Chris says she has more upstairs somewhere and will get out tomorrow.

Eric
Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #30
FF
Guru

Is this a Willard?

But how do you get over 100 ...percent that is.

The vessel is able to operate at the 90+% of the std boat.

90/90 is descriptive of the boats ability.

The old 50/50 WAS descriptive of the old motorsailors..

50% as good as a real sailor due to the usual tiny M/S rig as no one expected a M/S to ghost in light conditions or point high , due to shallow keel and massive weights , hull, fuel , engine, toys.

50% as good as a motor boat , as the house structure could not soar 30 ft in the air 2,3,4 levels high , not a desirable Roomaran.
And in the larger sizes the 7-1 depth kept them further from shore , and out of shallow anchorages. 49LWL needs a 7 ft draft , or the extra complexity of a center board.

Many of today's cruising auxilaries would rate 90% in the sail side (with folding prop) and do well as motor boats too.

The ICW is filled with "sail" boats that haven't had the cover off the mainsail in years , a roller jib is all they use on rare occasions.

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 08:41:13 AM
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #31
Guru

SO

We can now have our cake * * *....................

Naw * ... I see no sailboat that is 90% as good as a powerboat.
Talk to me again after the rubber band quits!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm having a little trouble following this thread, but will continue.

FF, Is it too personal to ask (or expect an answer to) what boats do you build?

EH, I have found the VERSA brand of engine mounts here from Hamilton Marine, model M5 which shows it to be good for engines from 250 to 500 pounds. They seem on the same idea as the ones you have.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #33
Guru

Dan,Search this:
<http://www.thermoboat.com/pdf/Yachtsman-MotorMount-1.pdf>
Sorry it's not a hyper link. Go to this page and see that there is only one mount that is suitable for our boats.

YC-5-385-625-3-4.

YC * *= Yachtmans Class
5 * * *= 5" between studs
385-625 = Weight of engine and trans.
3-4 * = 3/4" studs

Call them at 888-769-8495
Old 10-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #34
FF
Guru

FF, Is it too personal to ask (or expect an answer to) what boats do you build?

NONE , now. Retired for a long time,

Built sailboats , but the market and $$$$ was far better going back to out origional business Outfitting.

Back in the day sailboats like Westsail (Wet snails) were sold empty.

The owner would install the range (gas , kero or alcohol) all the electric toys and the auto pilot or self steering (offshore boats)..

Outfitting commercial boats , 49 pax took far less outlay , and could better expand and contract with the market than boat building.

And you couldn't be forced out of business by a congressional hate tax.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Eric:

Thanks for the motor mount PDF. I put it in my electronic boat file to save for a rainy day.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Eric,

I am a bit confused as to the size calculations for the engine mounts.* I haven't called them yet,* but based on the web-page,

"How to size engine mounts:
Add the weights of the transmission & engine and divide by the # of
engine mounts. Consult the chart to match the working load"

At first glance, does this mean that the rating for the engine mounts is cumulative?* ie, does an engine-transmission weighing #400s need engine mounts rated at #100 each?

Dan
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #37
Guru

Yes

Be back.

Eric
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #38
Guru

Dan,Looks like I goofed!

Add the weights of the transmission & engine and divide by the # of engine mounts. Consult the chart to match the working load and the
It looks like each mount is considered individually. Anyway the new mount should be
Part # 43192
YC-3-77-220-1/2Gen
The weight of your eng/trans falls much closer to the middle of the range * * ...a good thing I think.
Eric
Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Hi Eric,

Well, it's good to know that yours work out just fine.* They say bigger is better anyway,* or size matters.

I think maybe I will go a size up from that part number that is followed by GEN.* I think somewhere I read that there are mount that are and mounts that are not okay to use with thrust, ie with propulsion, so I am assuming that the GEN* means for generator.** But that gives me a place to start.

I just talked to a friend who works for the local Yanmar dealership and he is going to work up a quote for the biggest yanmar 3 cylinder.* I keep flip-flopping back and forth as to engine transmission combos,* the shortest combo would cut 18 inches off the total length of the unit and give me 9 inches of working room under the open engine hatch and another 10 inches under the sole.* That would be a reealistic situation for mainenance.* The four cylinder might give just enuf room to be frustrating.

Enclosed are images showing the Perkins as is.** Notee the forwaard round access hole where coolant is checked and added.** There are only a couple inches from the engine to the forward bulkhead.* The mag lite flashlite indicates where the front of the three cylinder would be.* Quite a difference.** If I did make a break in the shaft as talked about earlier I might even push the engine a bit further forward.

Dan Pease
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aud engine hatch open perkins.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2883  
Old 10-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #40
Guru

Dan,I'd go w the one ABOVE the one that ends in gen * *...and I'm quite sure you're right about "gen". Probably considering no thrust. The Top mount (YC-3-77-220-5/8) is rated for almost 900 lbs Dan. That should be comfortably close to the middle of the range. The mount below the "gen" may be a bit stiff. *When you talk to Poly Flex make sure they know you're thinking of a 3 cyl engine. Talk to them about what mount to use.
The Yanmar 3JH is a great engine but a bit more power than you need and expensive. Perhaps you would have a lot more space in front of your engine even w the BW if you used the Isuzu 32hp. I think it's a rather small unit (short). Could have more space and the BW too. I'll measure the length of my Mitsu and relate. I think it is shorter than the Perkins.
Yes I can see how far fwd your wheelhouse is compared to my Nomad. I see the FG corner of the berth layup. I'll take a picture of my eng compartment w the hatches open. A PO cut an additional hatch out of the salon floor. Made a HUGE difference in accessibility.