Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Propane lockers

Where do you Willard 30 owners hide your propane tanks? I am looking at a vessel with electric kitchenette equipment, and want to convert to a propane two burner with an oven. I know Nordic Tug hid them in the fake stack on the roof, and supposed the early Willard's did the same thing. I was toying with the idea of glassing one of the stern seats into a locker. Looking for ideas...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Willard 30 Vega Nomad
Propane lockers on Willard 30's

It depends on the model. On my Nomad it's in the Flying Bridge enclosure, which is pretty much right above the stove area, for a short,easy run. On Voyagers I think they generally have been put in the fake stack. I think Searchers usually install a box for them strapped to the aft wheelhouse bulkhead. Not sure about glassing them into the aft seat -- it would mean a long hose that would have to go below and through the engine room before coming up at the galley area (Again, depends on the model though.) Of course wherever it goes, it has to have generous ventilation at the bottom that can vent overboard, which could also be a problem for the seat location.
Sunshine Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Guru

I am looking into the 1999 PH model on the East Coast, so the layout is a bit different. It would be a relatively short run along the inside of the cockpit into the galley on the stbd side. Locker on the stbd would get the vent line away from the exhaust on the opposite side of the stern and there are no intakes back there. I want to stay out for a long time, so the small bottles are less desirable and it would be awesome to have a spare. The stbd seat locker location wise would make a great double bottle locker (size wise) but figuring out the lid gasket and a liner is harder. I carry kayaks, shrimp pots and puller, and an inflatable and motor, so I hate to give up cabin top space for a propane locker.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Not very aesthetic looking but ours as shown in the picture is basically right above the stove. There is only one connection inside the boat. I used a thru-hull on the cabin top (up-side-down) w a radiator hose found at NAPA that forms a "U" to keep water out. It's easy to remove for filling and the tank is see-thru FG. I cover the tank w a fender cover like yachties use as I didn't like the looks of the blue and green tank at all. Uses a minimum of roof space.

I offer this only on the slight chance you may (as I do) find this aesthetically acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71766 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Guru

I have gone with the fact that there are too many things to do all at once if I am successful in acquiring this vessel. It is currently all electric, and a 2000W DC generator with Inverter is a lot less immediate cost to continue using the electric range and plug in an electric heater. No heater, and the Webasto or Wallas would be another $3000 to have in and operating. I will be doing well to acquire and get it back to Prince William Sound this summer, an autopilot is the first purchase. I mount an aluminum bottle on my Bayliner something like you do :-)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
AK Doug,
That's kinda funny as we have a Wabasto and a propane stove and no auto pilot ...... Or any intentions of getting one. We all have our priorities.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Guru

I have done all of my navigating on paper charts with compass and a pair of dividers and of parallels. I am looking forward to an integrated system with MFD and radar, along with a GPS chart plotter integrated with the autopilot, and a broadband depth plotter so I can find the shrimp even better. At 24 mph I wasn't concerned about being overtaken, at 6 knots I will be overtaken by everything but the tide, it would be nice to see it coming. Anacortes to Whittier is a lot of hand steering... A lot of my route will be along the ferry routes and they really scoot! You don't still pull anchor by hand by chance? :-) I am looking forward to a modern suite, with luck none of it will be required during this trip North.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I am looking forward to an integrated system with MFD and radar, along with a GPS chart plotter integrated with the autopilot, and a broadband depth plotter so I can find the shrimp even better.
You're going to love it more than most members on TF! Having an AP is about the neatest thing going and when it's coupled to a chart plotter it's better than---! (Well almost!)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Guru

I fish a lot too, and it will be really cool to be able to pick a trolling pattern and let the boat drive itself while I handle the downriggers and rods. I do a lot of single handing and even with company I am usually the only one that knows what is required. I am excited to have new state of the art electronics, and since the boat has nothing but a VHF on it, I get to make all the holes for the first time myself!