Post a Photo of Your Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alohaboat wrote:

ALOHA is a 2002 Willard 40 Pilothouse trawler, powered by a John Deere 4045TD.*
Patrick, how do you like*your John Deere?* The non-turbocharged version of the 4045*has been installed in the Carquinez Coot.* Eric previously assured me I'm already over-powered with the*80 h.p.

I did?
You could probably do fine w 65hp but 80*seems just about perfect**** ...at least that's what I'm saying now. Don't remember tha numbers though.

Eric, now I feel*relieved.* Thanks!

nomadwilly wrote:

Some day I'd like to get down in Baja right about where you are. I have "The Baja Adventure Book" and some day I'm going to stop hibernating in winters and get on down there.
The Sea of Cortez is not for everyone.* I know one person who has his boat here now and much prefers the Pacific Northwest.* But I really like it here because you can cruise year round in mostly benign conditions.* Anchorages are generally about 20 to 35 ft. and the water is clear enough to see the crawlies and stingrays on the bottom.

I much prefer*"The Magnificent Peninsula" for a comprehensive view of Baja.* For water information, Jerry Cunningham's charts and guides are best.

Weather today is in the low 80's and lows tonight in the mid 60's.* Beautiful sunsets this time of year, like in my photo above which was taken on Thanksgiving evening.* Outstanding fishing here year round.

markpierce wrote:

Patrick, how do you like*your John Deere?* The non-turbocharged version of the 4045*has been installed in the Carquinez Coot.* Eric previously assured me I'm already over-powered with the*80 h.p.
I would have no other engine in my boat.* The JD is both smooth and quiet.

At about 40K pounds at half load, my boat is overpowered with the 120hp turbo!* I could easily do with the 80hp naturally aspirated JD.* But I chose the turbo because it is more fuel efficient than the naturally aspirated version and the turbo pollutes less.* Those two considerations trumped all other factors.* I run at about 1600 rpm which is about 70% of WOT.* At that rpm I*average about 7.5 knots (no wind or current)*and burn 1.5 gallons per hour.* That gets me 5 nmpg.* I carry 700 gallons of fuel so I have a range of about 3500 miles (til empty) at around 7.5 knots.* These are realistic numbers verified by Peter Pisciotta on a 1200 mile cruise with me.

I highly recommend the John Deere marine engines.

Sweet!

Such wonderful looking trawlers! I really like the looks of Nomad Willy and Sea Horse II. Someday soon I hope to be an owner. I want to have a trawler for retirement cruising.

"I want to have a trawler for retirement cruising."

Why a trawler? Where are you going?

FF,* Interesting how you keep trying to put people in Bayliners and I keep pushing sailboats.

What would a shrink say about that?** JohnP

We want to do the Loop.

Again why a "trawler"?

The loop is mostly an inshore run , it has been done in the 50's with 18ftt outboards --the wrong way!

Jet skis , no problem.

If it moves and floats the loop is a snap.

AFTER the loop , what level of speed is required. IS 6K or 7K OK?

Is "ocean worthy " in your plans (at an extra 300%) over a simple shore cruiser.

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 04:32:07 AM

Holy Smokes am I glad I stopped in here to see these Willards. The Willard 40 was our first choice for our trawler, but we live in the shallows of Biscayne Bay and love to languish in gunk holes everywhere, so we went with a very shallow draft boat. A good Willard, as far as we're concerned, is as good as it gets. Patrick....alohaboat is our size pic for a Willard, and yours is absolutely awesome. During our search, there was a west-coast Willard on the market with a John Deere. I remember them saying "the boat looked new from a distance, and when you got close, it still looked like a new boat". Was that your Willard? Big bucks, and well worth it. So very well done.

Craig, Kozad is superb.

Eric, Willy couldn't be any better (even with a round port hole and a fly bridge).

**I've never seen a Willard that wasn't an interesting boat, no matter the condition. *

-- Edited by healhustler on Friday 12th of August 2011 07:14:10 PM

Really nice Eric.* That's a lot of interior space in a compact package.* Impressive.

Nice words Carl....thank you. Much nicer comment than I got before. Previously I was told I needed to make my bed
hmm.gif
I usually just sleep out of a bag. Are you referring to my pics on page one of this thread? I'm sure if you spent time cruising Willy you'd find her a bit cramped. Full walk around side decks take a big chunk out of cabin space. The Willard is a hotel though compared to our 25 Albin. Would be better off w the Voyager model. Sorry the pic is not clear.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 426.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 426.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 114
*During our search, there was a west-coast Willard on the market with a John Deere. I remember them saying "the boat looked new from a distance, and when you got close, it still looked like a new boat". Was that your Willard? Big bucks, and well worth it. So very well done.
No that was not my boat.* ALOHA is the only Willard that came from the factory with a John Deere engine (at my request).* The engine has proved so successful that a couple of owners of older Willard 40s have repowered with that same engine.* The boat you are referencing was an older Willard Flybridge Sedan (mine is a Pilothouse version) that was completely restored and repowered with the Deere engine by the meticulous owner in the PNW.* The results were impressive.* That boat sold long ago.

Concerning draft, a Willard 40 draws 4'-3" at half load, an inch or two more at full load.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom