perkins cooling system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Dan

Vessel Name
Willie Dawes
Vessel Make
Newburyport 37
I have a P-4-107 and a question about engine exhaust cooling.* After the salt water has done it's duty to the heat exchangers and oil coolers there is a T in the line before it enters the exhaust riser.** This allows part or maybe most of the salt water to exit thru a thru hull at the water line in the side of the hull.** With back pressure from the diesel, I am not sure any water would ever make it to cool the actual exhaust line.

Any help?

I had a W30 Nomad w/Perkins 4-107 awhile back that had that arrangement. It had a gate valve in the line that went directly overboard, and I think the idea was you could close off the gate valve just enough until you had adequate cooling in the exhaust line without excessive backpressure.

Fast forward several boats later, I now have another W30 Nomad w/Perkins 4-107, but the overboard line is not there. There is a thru-hull where it used to go, but now all the water goes into the exhaust. The riser is now a simpler Vetus unit, so maybe that makes a difference, but I can't see that there is any problem with all the water going through the exhuast hose.

Thanks for that, as I suspected.* I may just remove that extra thru hull and pipe the excess water into my PSS shaft seal, where I expect* less water will go, due to back pressure from being 3 feet below the surface, even tho there is some discussion that at 7 knots, the PSS needs no extra cooling water.

So many thru hulls on the W-30's.* Good to get rid of another.

Where do you cruise?* I am in Maine.

I may also split the line that heads to the PSS, and run a reduced line into one of the cockpit drains, where I can see at a glance that I have cooling water flowing.* If I see steam,* know I have a problem.* Not my idea, I have seen it on a friend's boat.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom