New Willard Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsmitherman

Vessel Name
Genesis (formerly Dusty Weather)
Vessel Make
1969 Willard 36 Pilothouse Trawler
In May we purchased "Dusty Weather IV" in Ft. Pierce, FL and motored her 1040 miles to Demopolis, AL. The boat is a 1969 Willard 36 Pilotouse trawler, with 140 hp Isuzu deisel and Vospar hydraulic stabilizer fins.

I have submitted the CG paperwork to change the name to GENESIS, and in the meantime I am performing some maintenance and minor upgrades. I replaced the non-working refrigerator, installed a "Natures Head" toilet, added fans and replaced most lights with LED units.

As soon as the weather cools down I'll haul her out for bottom paint, seacock maintenance and replacement of hoses and such. After that, the major needs will be new air conditioner(s) and electronics.

I'm anxious to get advice from other Willard owners about how to upgrade the boat without jeopardizing its character. One major decision I'm struggling with is whether to repair and keep the stabilizers, or have them removed. (I think the problem is just a faulty hydraulic pump, but I probably won't have a great need for the stabilizers.) any thoughts?

Tom

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new to you classic trawler!

Ted

Tom,
Welcome.
Look up the Willard web sites especially the yahoo groups site.
You've got my favorite brand of engine.
PM me for whatever if you like.

welcome

Great look boat would love to see you post more pictures and start a thread of your progress

installed a "Natures Head" toilet,

Good units , but you must follow the rules for boys.

And inform male guests to sit.

Welcome from a fellow Willard owner. Keep the statbilizers.

I am surprised to see your blog notice that you have decided to sell GENESIS. I know from personal experience how difficult such a decision can be. I have been searching for the right Willard for several years now. I have been looking at all of the various Willard 30 designs from Key West to Vancouver. I have made numerous trips from my home on the SW coast of Florida near Sanibel Island to Ft. Pierce in hopes of locating the right one but have not been successful to date. I sold my 36' trawler several years ago when I decided to move ashore and got married. My wife enjoys being on the water as much as I do but finding the ideal trawler within our price range has been difficult.

I was enjoying my 66th birthday earlier today when your GENESIS blog suddenly appeared on my computer screen. As soon as it appeared it disappeared and I have not been able to find it again. Could you please e-mail me the link at trawlerdolphindreams@gmail.com. Will you be listing GENESIS with a Yacht Broker or may I correspond with you directly? We are interested in seeing GENESIS depending on your schedule. We are a 1 day long drive from you at the Western end of the Caloosahatchee River where it meets Pine Island Sound.

John D. Patten

There are two boats that I would consider as my "Next" boat, one is a Lord Nelson and the other is this model 36' Willard. I think I recently missed on one of the 36s on the West Coast in terms of "Would I have or will pull the trigger on a buy?". It was on YouTube under 'BoatShed.com".

Al-Ketchikan

Al my friend just bought one.
Too big Al. The 30’s are so much easier to deal with.

Bob’s Perkins crankshaft is hang’in up in a shop like a side of beef. Some crankshaft problem.
The sedan is a wonderful boat but visability from the helm is poor.

Bob’s Perkins crankshaft is hang’in up in a shop like a side of beef. Some crankshaft problem.
The sedan is a wonderful boat but visability from the helm is poor.

Willy,
As the owner of my second Willard 36 sedan a couple of comments.
This model as you know was a Bill Garden design.

The original design was intended for Southern CA and the Baja, and had only flybridge helm. The lower helm was an extra cost option. I didn’t mind the lower helm visibility, but have assed an inexpensive camera on the flybridge cowling. The photo below is a poor photo, but as you can see it solves the visibility issue close under the bow.

Garden spec’d a 50 hp Gray Marine conversion of the HD-277 Continental Diesel. The first few were fitted with this engine, including Solitude, and my first W36. This was a perfect engine for the hull, power to achieve hull speed in most conditions, and incredibly smooth running. When Continental quit building the HD-277 in the early ‘60’s Willard moved to the Perkins 4-236, then it seems to the 6-354. I have the 4 cyl in my current boat and it’s 85 hp is way more than the hull needs, if your friend’s “side of beef” is a 6 cyl, don’t blame the hull, blame whoever put the huge engine in!

The 36 has more ballast than any of the others. I think that is my favorite attribute of the 36, plus the huge covered cockpit.

Bill
IMG_5821.jpg

The sedan is a wonderful boat but visibility from the helm is poor.

Hi Eric, sorry, was not following after posting. The model I was referencing was the Pilot house model of which 8 were constructed with one now demised.
I agree with the poster who indicated his model is well ballasted, I would give consideration of increasing ballast in the pilot house model were one in my possession, I am a great believer in a "Slow Roll".

Regards, best to you and the wife on Thanksgiving day.

Al-Ketchikan

Al and Cessna,
Yes the 36 is a fabulous hull. I wish they had built a 30’ version of the 36. But of course I’d want a RPH cabin. And even less power. What’s the displacement of the 36? And another thought of mine is that one dosn’t need to reach hull speed at all. I don’t even know if I can w my W30. I suspect not and I’m sure I’d be 100% happy w 28 to 33hp. My 37hp engine is more than I need. And Mitsubishi makesa 33hp version of exactly the same engine as my 37. The original W30 had the Perkins 4-107/8 that was delivered overpropped by 250rpm. 36hp was claimed by Perkins at 3000rpm but overpropped only delivered 33hp.

Similar numbers and thinking could be applied to the W36. It’s quite likely 45hp would be fine w an engine like a Yanmar that sings along at higher rpm. But if you can achive hull speed even less would be adquate. Serious economy could be had w the JH but if I had a 36 I’d be looking for a 60-65hp engine. But now that you’ve shown 50hp is plenty or even more than enough. My Mitsubishi is rated by
Them to 37hp. But the exact same engine is offered by Vetus at 42hp and by Westerbeke at 44hp. Don’t know where the 5 to 7hp comes from but ...... ?

Al I’m quite sure I’m overballasted. I replaced concrete ballast w lead and filled basically the same space. My bow blows downwind easily and the excess ballast aft is prolly in the act. In following seas though the stern stays planted.

Cessna,
The camera is great. Much easier than raising the bridge.
PS what was the displacement of the HD-277?

Last edited:
I’m with you Eric. The 36 is sweet.

Willy,

My 36 with about 100 gal each of fuel and water (500 & 200 gal capacity respectively) weighs about 31000 lbs according to the pressure gauges on Seaview’s Travelift.

The HD277 is a 4 cylinder of 277 cubic inches displacement. As I recall continuous rating was 50 hp at 2000 rpm, intermittent 60 hp at 2200. Solitude has one.

Bill

One major decision I'm struggling with is whether to repair and keep the stabilizers, or have them removed. (I think the problem is just a faulty hydraulic pump, but I probably won't have a great need for the stabilizers.) any thoughts?

Tom

Tom, IMO, get the stabilizers repaired. Your wife will be happier.
"Honey, I am spending all this money so you will be happier when it is rough outside."

Definitely. Fix and keep the stabilizers.

willard 40 admirals gig

Just picked up my Willard 40 admirals gig. don't no much about her she came off the uss harry s Truman any info would be greatly appreciated:banghead:

Just picked up my Willard 40 admirals gig. don't no much about her she came off the uss harry s Truman any info would be greatly appreciated:banghead:

Welcome to the forum!
That's the same manufacturer, solid hull, but very different design and function. There have been some threads on the forum for your model of Willard.

Ted

Try searching Admiral's Launch or Willard Navy Launch.

Ted

YES you will need them. It is nice to have.
I will tell you having owned a boat just like it with full Displacement and bailest the boat does roll but you have good stability. Very good sea boat!
When you are passing a full speed Bayliner with big wake. You turn on the stabilizer.
Make sure the center lock works for docking,
forgetting to turn on center has made me look like a fool more then I want to remember.
Don

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom