The last Willard 30 on Clear Lake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougd1

Moderator Emeritus
This pic was taken by Elmore in Watergate after the storm.* It is unknown what the ultimate fate of this vessel will be.* Restoration or recycled?
blankstare.gif

Attachments

• willard after ike in watergate marina.jpg
    willard after ike in watergate marina.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,440
oldfishboat wrote:

Makes me cry. saw that pic last week along with a bunch that also made me cry. Wonder if she will refloat if they lift or pull the sail boat off her back? If that be the reason she is resting like that ?
OFB, I'm not sure if it's the weight of the sailboat or water in her stern.* The whole scene was just too much for me to take.* Sensory overload, almost surreal.

I talked to someone that told me a story about a guy that was on a boat at Watergate (the same marina) the night of the storm.* He was told by this brave (crazy) old soul that things started to get wild when his sailboat rose so high that it began crashing up and down on one of the piles that he was tied to.* It ended up being driven through the bottom and out the stern. The eye started to pass over about this time and he leap-frogged from boat to boat to try to get to someplace higher.* He ended up swimming to the marina office and camped out*on the 2nd floor.* Wow!* What a night that must have been.
cry.gif

I'm not sure if this was the boat.* I seem to recall more than 1 boat at Watergate with a pile piercing.

Attachments

• sailboat in watergate.jpg
    sailboat in watergate.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 221
This was posted by someone who knows the owner of "The Last Willard 30 on Clear Lake?".* It was posted on the Willard Boat Owners on Yahoo Groups:

Hello All,

That Nomad which sank at Watergate in Clear Lake Tx is Excelsior. She was pretty tired and neglected before the dunking. I have an email address for the owner, Gordon, if anyone has an interest in salvaging the boat.

Send me a note and I will forward it to Gordon if*anyone would like*to speak to him.

-- Edited by dougd1 at 18:05, 2008-10-02

Back
Top Bottom