Old 06-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Back to Alaska

Hello all,
My trip from Anacortes with the "new" Willard 30PH went flawlessly, leaving Anacortes on the afternoon of Wednesday June 3rd and steaming to the line at the border before buoying up for the night. Easy trip over to South Pender, cleared Customs with a phone call and no visit, they didn't even want my passport. The next week was spent running 80 plus miles a day, I was in Ketchikan Wednesday morning a week later. A nice visit from the Customs at the dock, the gentleman said he had inspected a 40' Willard recently. Burned 84 gallons of fuel in 100 hours running 2650 rpm's at right around 7 knots, which was faster than I wanted to run but the currents were consistently .5 to 1.5 knots in my face the whole passage North to Cape Spencer. I fueled with 100 gallons in Ketchikan, having started my trip only partially filled (140 gallons in a 150 gallons tank).
I picked up a traveling companion (was single handing until Ketchikan) and we ran three days to Cape Spencer (Elfin Cove) before hitting the Gulf. We ran for 48 hours straight to Kayak Island, making Yakutat in about 22 hours and Kayak Island around midnight on the 18th. We were in Cordova Wednesday afternoon and picked up another 100 gallons of fuel, we ran about 15 hours to make Whittier, departing Cordova on the morning of the 20th. My trip was 16 days, with two lost to maintenance and shopping in Ketchikan, so basically two weeks of constant cruising, anchoring at night where possible.
Pictures and more to follow.

Doug
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
It sounds like you know what you are doing. No muss, no fuss, no seeking adulation - just doing it. Congratulations.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That was a hard run Doug.

Missed seeing/meeting you.

Glad all went so well.

Now what are ya gonna do ... Take a little run up to Bethel?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Guru

Laundry. That's what I am going to do next :-) Then wander out to the Sound and spend a few days not traveling, just to see what it's like. No interest in going any further than the Aluetians, and not around to Bristol Bay. My weather was beyond fabulous. most of the way it was sheet glass on top of a slow roll, only one squall worth mentioning, we were a little too far offshore and had to beat 5-7 foot seas for a few miles until we could get close enough to shore to damp it down a bit. Only one day of traveling without the sun... The pictures don't lie!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
What no pics? That's it........
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Guru

Cut me some slack here :-) Summer is in my face and we are having a fabulous warm and calm spell in South Central Alaska. I want to spend it on a computer? Rain, wind, and cold weather will come, then I will spend the time to write a narrative and include some pics. There WERE adventures, the weather was beyond belief, and the pics are great. The small boat harbor is $33 a day, so I am going to spend minimum time in the harbor this summer. This site has been great for information that has paid off in making it seem easy bringing the boat North. My single screw/rudder boat handling skills suck :-) Working on that!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Doug

We're taking more time than you but enjoying our trip bringing the boat north. We are sitting in Wrangell now (moorage is $.40 a foot) and wondering why we would ever want to deal with Whittier again but living in Anchorage makes Wrangell a "fur piece". Glad you had a safe crossing of the gulf. We are not sure if a weather window will show up in August to let us cross.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Well done Doug,
Looking forward to the full story.
Enjoy it all up there. You've got your priorities right.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote