Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Not a Willard - but the swimstep which came on my boat certainly takes away from the nice lines of the stern. It is fairly easily removed though as it is just clamped to the rear boarding ladder. I'll see how much I use it before deciding if it stays or goes. I would have to say that it's butt ugly.
The duckboard on the resort version is a nicer design I think. No reason why you could not get similar made for the Cuddles 30, or the Willard for that matter. Both have similar canoe stern.
Church Point Charter

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I'm also struggling with the idea of a swim platform, and have been studying others successes and failures. A lot depends on what would make the boat more facilitating of the way you use it. Our boat is delightful in following seas, and we don't want to spoil that, but when we look at the platforms of the Mirage Great Harbor, for example (a similar style to our boat), we can see that for us, the boat would probably double in it's practicality. We love to gunk-hole and explore shallows, and swim whenever we can. Climbing up a skinny ladder and crawling over high gun wales is not as easy as it once was. We'd probably double or triple our weekend use of the boat if it were also our platform for swimming at a nearby cove or one of the sand bars in Biscayne Bay.

We're planning for the loop in 2014, and the Admiral says she wants to visit marinas along the route at least 1/3rd of the time. That means we'd be paying for the length of the platform at most marina stops. So now it's either forget it, make it foldable, or at least easily removable. Maybe someone will eventually design a new dinghy that conforms to any stern and doubles as a stylish and unobtrusive swim platform.
I've been at marinas now for 60 nights on this trip and yet have paid extra because of my swim platform/pulpit. Most just ask what your length is and if it's remotely believable...that's what they write down.

One thing is about length of stay...spend time at a face dock or need a longer slip because of it you might pay....but as an overnight or two transient...no extra at least for us yet. And one place (Isle of Hope in Savannah we stayed 15 days).

So far I have been pleasantly surprised at marina costs off season north of Florida....I have been at many that were only charging $1.00 per foot or even less sometimes if I stayed a couple nights.

Maybe it is because most of the marinas aren't nearly full ...and there's hardly any transients during the off peak snowbird season....seems like they are bending over backward to get the business.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Something like this would practical for swimming, but I would expect it to be a pain in a following sea. And messing up the fine lines of the stern to install a transom door? - It's just wrong.
I prefer the look of a G-string on a nice butt, rather than bloomers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim platform.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	16453  
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #24

City: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I've been at marinas now for 60 nights on this trip and yet have paid extra because of my swim platform/pulpit. Most just ask what your length is and if it's remotely believable...that's what they write down.

One thing is about length of stay...spend time at a face dock or need a longer slip because of it you might pay....but as an overnight or two transient...no extra at least for us yet. And one place (Isle of Hope in Savannah we stayed 15 days).

So far I have been pleasantly surprised at marina costs off season north of Florida....I have been at many that were only charging $1.00 per foot or even less sometimes if I stayed a couple nights.

Maybe it is because most of the marinas aren't nearly full ...and there's hardly any transients during the off peak snowbird season....seems like they are bending over backward to get the business.
I am totally agree with you.You are 100% good here that most of the marinas are not nearly complete.And there's hardly any transients during the off optimum snowbird season.
I agreed what is said above!!!
Alexis699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The best fix I have found for boarding kayaks is to switch to sit-on-top models where you just stand on them and then sit down. I sit on the rail, put my feet in/on the boat, then stand up and sit down, being careful not to spill my drink :-) I have a swim platform but it is too close to the water to be dry getting into a sit-in kayak. I watch my friends with sit-ins get their butt wet almost every time they go, either from traveling, rain, boat wakes, or even the dew. If you were REALLY kayaking, you wouldn't need a boat to carry it on. I am satisfied with plunking along in an unsinkable plastic buoy shaped like a boat that is easy to get on or off of, especially handy when the waves are breaking on the beach.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
The best fix I have found for boarding kayaks is to switch to sit-on-top models where you just stand on them and then sit down. .... I am satisfied with plunking along in an unsinkable plastic buoy shaped like a boat that is easy to get on or off of, especially handy when the waves are breaking on the beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaHorse & Kayak.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	17246  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote