Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I have to pick "B" as my favorite look, but with the fly-bridge creeping into the back of the pilothouse, this is going to be a small space. If I had to lay out the bucks for such a modification, I'd take "C" for the additional sense of space it would add in front of the forehead, even if it was only 8". I'd be fairly safe to assume that the guy looking at the mod isn't a Willard purist, otherwise he wouldn't be considering it to begin with.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Lose the flying bridge and I really like C; but it doesn't work with it. I could go with the B or B revised but the angle of the venturi has to be complementary to the wind screen. That and the scallop curve of the bridge side has to reflect Mr. Garden's original curve.

Either way, my eye is drawn to the sweet sheer, which makes it a fine looking boat.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yes, lose the flying bridge. The savings will be many thousands of $$. Haven't seen the need for one either.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #24
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Great thread! Love the Willard in all their glorious models, As to the Devlin design, we are fortunate to have a fiberglass model of this boat here in Ketchikan. Owner works with disability military personnel retired. One of the more weather-able designs for Southern Southeast Alaska. Thanks for sharing.
Al-Ketchikan(Bridge to Nowhere )Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 AM   #25
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Well, I know I got chided for suggesting extending the saloon, but if it were extended I think you could make the flybridge work on the B design. I would want to see the starboard pilot house door reinstated as well. But as Tad mentioned, a 3D rendering could nullify all of our thoughts.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Conrad wrote;
"I know I got chided for suggesting extending the saloon"
I agree w you Conrad and think TAD is completely wrong about this. Trawlers are all about space and comfort. Look at all the sundeck boats here and "3 story" boats. Most all are wide and use most any trick to get more cabin space. A very significant exception to this is the relatively high popularity of walk around decks. Having said that the amount of aft cockpit is a decision for TAD and his client but if this "new Willard" was headed for the trawler market TAD's boat would need to shed deck space for more cabin. And the W36 is very full aft so space there for more salon is definitely not lacking. So IMO extending the salon would be a must as a trawler in the marketplace but this boat is going to an individual and he may be more inclined to a boat more like a sport fisherman.

As to FB more trawler people like them than not (sorry Mark) so as a marketplace trawler it should be there. But for guys like Mark and myself it would be nice if it were an option. The abbreviated FB as delineated in TAD's drawings is IMO an EXCELENT compromise FB. Eagle used the AFB nicely on their 32 and Willard had a similar configuration on the W30 Horizon.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Trawlers are all about space and comfort. Look at all the sundeck boats here and "3 story" boats. Most all are wide and use most any trick to get more cabin space.
I hate to admit that, at least from a marketing perspective, you're right. A lot of old fuddys like myself retiring (and Admirals especially) want keel/condo space. Biminis turned into oxygen tents and oxygen tents have given way to hot-houses, all to create controlled, weather resistant spaces. I'd bet I haven't seen a half dozen styles of boats that were complemented by their canvas treatment. Making it a "hard" alteration is more pleasing IMHO.

Regarding Tad's proposed alterations, if I were looking at the purchase of that size of trawler and such a modified Vega were on the market, I'd likely be eager to view it, even more, I'd probably pay more for it after assurance from a qualified Naval Architect that the vessel's stability was intact. It is the weight distribution and CG that concern me the most about these kinds of mods.

Doing the mods on my own boat, I've accounted for every pound of weight taken off and put on... along with it's distance from the CG. I've got more to put on right now and part of the plan is what I'll be taking off. Todays materials give you some pretty good flexibility. Building a pilothouse or fly-bridge could be half the weight and twice the strength of the old ones (for a price).

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #28
Master and Commander

Quote:

As to FB more trawler people like them than not (sorry Mark) so as a marketplace trawler it should be there. But for guys like Mark and myself it would be nice if it were an option. ...
I agree people should have a choice of flying bridge or no flying bridge. Lots of cost savings, reduced windage, and avoidance of increased boat motion if one doesn't purchase a flying bridge.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #29
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
. Lots of cost savings and reduced windage if one doesn't purchase a flying bridge.
Even more if you don't purchase a boat at all.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
I raised my helmseat way up so my hair is brushing the overhead but although that seems fine on the open water, I still want to head for the bridge when in traffic. The curved windows look nice but you can't run a wiper on them and the mar resistant Lexan can't be bent anyway.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #31
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Even more if you don't purchase a boat at all.
Don't pay extra if you're not going to use it. Nevertheless, in the used market, I doubt one pays a premium for a boat with a flying bridge as they are very common.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
On William we have a large deck for a 32 footer . I haven't measured it yet but maybe
12 x 12 . About nine or so feet of it is covered . It has vberth with wet heat and wheel house has bench seat ,sink and fridge no stove . I would like to extend the cabin with a couple steps down aft the wheel house and put in real galley and more seating . The wife says no way ! We bought the boat because we love the covered deck space . I'm not real sure I could pull it off anyway and make it look right . It would probably turn out looking like a camper .No more redesigning boats she says . The next one will have it ,if there is a next one . We do all our cooking outside anyway . The PO has a Lord Nelson 37 Tug. He said he missed the large covered deck space he had with William and now he has to go up a ladder and add canvas to get some space and shade . More time on the boat will help us get used to the tight living qtrs . In the south most time on boat is outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	28878  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,
What is the boat in the lower picture? She has much of what I dislike in a boat but I really like that boat. She's beautiful. I even like the railings.

Is the Californian FlyWright's? I like the cabin on the Cal and especially the back side window. The visual balance it creates is really good IMO.

But I like William better than all those ice cream boats!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #34
Master and Commander

Eric, that's FlyWright in the top photo and Pineapple Girl below. Photos taken on the same day, up the San Joaquin River on the way to the Asparagus Festival in Stockton.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #35
Master and Commander

Quote:
But I like William better than all those ice cream boats!
It's a cutie, and has no flying bridge.

Al, get me off this rocking flying bridge (anchored off of Alcatraz Island):

PS -- Mine's a death grip.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #36
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Many thoughtful comments above, thank you to everyone. I appreciate it.

Of course the main reason for only changing the pilothouse windshield is, "That's what the client asked for." And the client is right. In a perfect world no project would be limited by time or budget constraints, but the reality is that these factors are the major issues. This owner is doing his own mods, over a winter in his backyard. I suspect the wheelhouse project will end up being at least a full winter's work. Enlarging the saloon will be another project for some other winter.

Below are some images from the Vega sales info. Price as of April, 1965 was $38,500 FOB Costa Mesa, trucking, launching, and commissioning was an extra $300. The optional lower control station was $575.00 and was installed on the port side. This is why the starboard side door disappeared from my sketch, it's over the galley counter.

Name:	Vegainterior.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	28881

Name:	Vegaplan.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	28882
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #37
Guru

Assuming that the owner goes with something similar to the B or C options, would that entail a raised floor in the newly created pilot house area? And a door on the port side? I ask as your comments suggest that the mods might only involve the windshield.
Very interesting project, and if it goes ahead hopefully you or the owner will bless us with photos after completion
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #38
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Assuming that the owner goes with something similar to the B or C options, would that entail a raised floor in the newly created pilot house area? And a door on the port side? I ask as your comments suggest that the mods might only involve the windshield.
Garden's original arrangement shows a double width helm seat on the port side, aft of the lower control station. I would suggest building a 18" high box on the cabin sole, only to port of the forward cabin access, to make a raised helm position. This would leave the galley and forward cabin access intact. And it will create a 5' high wall (the helm seat back) at the forward end of the saloon settee. The wall can be used to back a nice fireplace, or one of those monster TV panels. Downside is it will visually close up the deckhouse space.....there's always something.......

I would encourage the port side helm door, even if it's short (Due to side deck height). The problem here is not much space to slide a door aft and bulwarks outboard will limit swing.....maybe a drop-board with swinging upper portion.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #39
Guru

Sounds like a good plan Tad. The fireplace would be a nice touch if the saloon was extended...(sorry.)
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #40
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Raised helm seat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	176.9 KB