Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #21

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Slobber, Slobber. This looks like a dream-sicle without the stick. Whatever that would be. The equipment room electrics look like top notch craftmanship work. As an electrode myself I can appreciate that. Thanks for the post

Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
In general she's a nice boat, which I've always thought just a little odd looking. The Pilothouse just sticks out a hair too much, looks too much like a phone booth......so......I looked some more and realized it's just the top. The pilothouse roof has no meat to it, it looks wimpy. All she needs is a visor about 3" wide bent round there and she would be perfect

I really like the full width saloon but I also want a hatch and ladder to get from the boat deck into the aft cockpit. And the raised panel pilothouse doors are a bit fussy....otherwise it's not bad....

Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Great boat to be sure.

I would think an electronic engine would be MORE efficient.

I'm curious just how much of a Willard this boat is. I'm assuming it's hull was made by Willard and maybe all the rest of it and maybe none of it.

A boat designed by Ed Monk is called a Monk. Who builds it is not worth mentioning. Who designed this boat w at least the hull made by Willard dosn't seem to be worth mentioning either. Most boats are named according to who builds them but that's usually the whole boat. If the only thing Willard about this boat is the hull's construction (not even the hull design) then perhaps it should'nt be called a Willard.

However if Willard did the whole boat hiring a NA to do their drafting and engineering then the name Willard is entirely appropriate. And I suspect that is the case. I saw this boat last year and she's beautiful indeed.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Great boat to be sure. I would think an electronic engine would be MORE efficient.
Any diesel that is not turboed will last damned near forever. I have several. My naturals use lube tanks - you fill them once a week. Detroits are famous for using oil - but that's good. I'd rather put in oil than DEF every 50 hours! When the Feds demanded that over the road trucks change from 1500ppm fuel to 15ppm fuel (ULSD), we in the marine business were given extra years to finalize the switch (2010). Many countries still sell 1500ppm. My engines would starve for lubrication if I switched to 15ppm.

Quote:
A boat designed by Ed Monk is called a Monk. Who builds it is not worth mentioning. Who designed this boat w at least the hull made by Willard dosn't seem to be worth mentioning either. Most boats are named according to who builds them but that's usually the whole boat. If the only thing Willard about this boat is the hull's construction (not even the hull design) then perhaps it should'nt be called a Willard.
This looks nothing like the typical Willard. I remember them building a 40 and there was a 50 on drawing boards. Once the mil contracts started rolling in, they dumped all recreational hulls.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
In general she's a nice boat, which I've always thought just a little odd looking. The Pilothouse just sticks out a hair too much, looks too much like a phone booth......so......I looked some more and realized it's just the top. The pilothouse roof has no meat to it, it looks wimpy. All she needs is a visor about 3" wide bent round there and she would be perfect
I agree Todd,
The portuguese bridge seems to overwhelm the pilothouse. The balance isn't quite right.
But the interior systems are incredible. Soooo many hours of labour and love have gone into her.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #26

City: St Louis
Glad I wasn't the only one excited to see such a gorgeous Willard... Nor the only one confused by that square stern!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #27
Guru

Animal,
Willard built a bunch of Navy Personnel boats like Uniflite did.
As I recall they were 33', 36', 40' and 50'. Willard may have only built the 40 and 50' personnel boats. I think FF's boat is one of them.
These were boats built to mil-specs having nothing to do w the pleasure boats built under the same roof. There were 33' cabin boats built to ferry officers about in harbors that were hard chine boats resembling the Uniflite pleasure boats. The Uniflite Vietnam jet powered riverboats were also hard chine and probably from the same molds.

But the Willard pleasure boats w their very rounded sterns had nothing to do w these other boats.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #28

City: St Louis
47' WIllard For Sale

Thanks! That would also explain the relatively high horse power. As I have mentioned to you before, my interest lies more in smaller boats with double digit HP, such as the recreational Willards, Diesel Ducks, Great Harbours, etc. Figured all the Willard fans out there wouldn't want to miss this one though! Thanks for helping me understand why what I was looking at was so different than the others in shape and HP!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #29
Guru

Reportedly Willard built 4 of these, I think all the others have a different house and no Portuguese bridge. This one, Nereid, is well known on the West Coast MV Nereid Willard Dover Pilothouse Trawler

The design is a semi-displacement, hard-chined vee-bottom by Blaine Seeley. Seeley was a big name at the time, mainly in semi-displacement boats but also doing full displacement hulls. The Meridian 48 (Columbia Yachts), the North Sea 38, the Pacific Trawler 37.

Here's his drawing of the 47' Dover

Click image for larger version

Name:	w47profile.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	30097

Willard started as wooden boat builders, and moved to fiberglass in 59, with the Vega 36. By 1972 they had built over 50 custom fiberglass boats, including these 4 47's, a 52', 59', 75' by Dair Long, an 82' round stern triple-decker, and a 110' monster.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #30
Guru

TAD I had nonidea Willard built wood boats.

They went to some length to make the W30s look like wood boats. Very successful too as many people ask me if Willy is wood.

I look at your IronBark 28 at times just to look.
http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/sm...ent/ironbark28

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Thanks Tad! I can't unsee the phone booth now.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #32
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Spee Bi Dah?

I think having to polish brass stove-pipes is a bit over the top.

Don't like the look of the Portugese bridge, don't like the small cockpit, don't like no walkaround decks, don't like the split galley. Like the curved windows in the pilothouse, like the the standard of care which is outstanding, if the photos are accurate. Don't like the fake stack, it's an affectation I don't need...

I think it's a boat you need to see in person, otherwise except for the care put into it, it doesn't work for me.

Oh yeah, why have a hydraulic filter on your tank and not run all the return hoses through it?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #33

City: Portland OR
It's interesting to see all the excitement over and attention garnered by what is ostensibly just a nearly half-century old fiberglass trawler.

Count me among the fans, I absolutely love this boat! If it was available at the time I was in the market, I probably would have bought it (though I'd prefer walk-around decks). To me, it has so much character, seems well-built and very 'salty'.

With all the enthusiasm over this boat, it makes me wonder why only 4 of them were built, and why there isn't something close to it on the market right now? It seems there is a market and demand for this boat...
Old 05-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
With all the enthusiasm over this boat, it makes me wonder why only 4 of them were built, and why there isn't something close to it on the market right now? It seems there is a market and demand for this boat...

An argument can be made that they are.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400869967.319628.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	30098

Or at least a reasonably close facsimile.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #35

City: Portland OR
Good point!

Though, aren't the DeFevers full displacement, while the Willard is 'semi-displacement'?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #36
Guru

A couple of Seeley designs, the 47' is (I believe) the hull built by Willard.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. TR. You sir, are a wealth of information. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #38
Guru

I took this a year ago.

Beautiful boat And would be great for Florida w her shallow draft. She's not even as deep as Willy. I like the profile of this 47' boat a lot.

The North Sea 38 is a very boxy boat from above. Should lie nicely alongside a float though. Unlike Willy that is curved like a sailboat.
The 38 is more like a FD boat and not too far from a GB. Her engine is fwd as it should be IMO and she's not as heavy as she looks. Perhaps i'm just too accustomed to FG boats and the heavy plastic. "double planked-mahogany over plywood". Interesting. Like plywood sheathed and planks riveted to the plywood? I thought about that in the past and wonder how well it works. Probably not fun to repair but strong and light.
I love the list of boat features on this 38.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1010 copy 2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	30102  

Old 05-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
For an interesting comparison to a 40 year newer vessel, pull up the 47 DeFever on this site:

AAA yacht finders international

You'll likely have to type it in, I'm not in best of coverage area
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I ran across her last summer cruising in the San Juans. Absolutely stunning! and methinks a bargain.

Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote