zinc stuck in freshwater cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here’s a diagram of the Performance Metal’s Al anode.

Attachments

• 5AF766EA-3F92-4F94-BE8B-589161F024DC.jpg
    5AF766EA-3F92-4F94-BE8B-589161F024DC.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 54
I have good luck w the performance metal anodes.
I checked w them and because they didn't have a dealer in my area they would sell direct to me.
Very complete size selection in alum which is sometimes a problem w distributors.

Sounds like an opportunity to clean the HE, very simple job if you keep end cap gaskets on hand as you should. It takes me about fifteen minutes and you should be doing it at least annually anyway.

Zinc in Generator HE

This just happened to me. I removed the end cap, used a tie wrap to push the piece of zinc up so that I could grab it with a a pair of pliers. Fist time this has happened to me in 20+ years of boating.

I too use the wiggle method. Unscrew the cap a bit until it can be wiggled to loosen the anode. I also use a plumber's round wire brush to clean out the hole and threads before replacing the zinc. I use channel locks on the zinc to tighten it to the cap. No more problems in 12 years.

Tator

Greetings,
Just a head's up...IF the housing/fitting the anode screws into has a hex profile, use the proper sized wrench on BOTH the fitting AND the anode when removing and installing the anode. Those housings are simply soft soldered on in some cases and putting too much torque on the anode nut could break the housing/fitting off of the body of the heat exchanger.

Um...er...don't ask how I know. Ya, I heard two guys talking in a bar, no wait, it was on a dock. Ya, that's it, on a dock...

200.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom