We picked Mainship ( a 2003 390 ) for a couple of reasons.
1) we wanted a Eurosedan style boat with a protected cockpit and wide sidedecks
2) did not want exposed teak. Even though it looks good, it requires a lot of maintenance
3) wanted a walk around berth in the master cabin, plus a guest stateroom
4) there were about 500 of these built from 1998 to 2004 so we were able to look at several to make comparisons.
5) because they are US made, the quality from boat to boat is pretty consistant
6) wanted steps to the flybridge rather than a ladder
7) you get a lot of boat for the money
I agree with what John said.* We picked the next generation of the 390 (which started life as a 350)*for similar reasons.* The 2004-2009 34t's have a galley down (where the 390 has a second stateroom)*and a more open Salon as a result of the galley down.* We also have (as does the 390) a large head with a real shower.*As someone else has said we can party 8-10, dine 6 and sleep two (4 if need be), and that is what we want.
The quality on my boat is really good for the cost of the boat.* Do I see things I would have liked to be of better quality, sure.* But for the most part the value for the dollar is there.* When I find something I don't think is up to par I just replace it if it isn't an expensive item or I'll wait until it quits working*and then replace it with better quality at that time.
I might add I think it is one of the best bangs for the buck out there.* Are there better boats?* Sure but at more than half again as*expensive.
-- Edited by JD on Monday 1st of November 2010 09:16:31 AM
-- Edited by JD on Monday 1st of November 2010 04:19:17 PM