Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
where to get one of these?

So the guy driving the boat during the sea trial (NOT ME!) did this and I forgot to get him to fix it before we bought the boat. It was out of sight, out of mind until we turned the boat around at the dock last week.

Anyone fellow mainshippers know where I can find a new one (or 2, the other one looks pretty chalky)?

This is on a 1981 mainship 40 PH, just FYI
Attached Thumbnails
20150502_142218.jpg  
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't know anything about Mainships other than they may have gone out of business (?), but given the year of your boat finding a direct replacement may be tough unless you can find one out of a hurricane or storm damaged boat that's being parted out.

Since you say the other vent is also looking a bit iffy, perhaps your solution would be to find a currently made vent that is the correct size, or close enough to need little modification to the vent or the hull (if that's the hull it's mounted in) and use them.

Won't work if you're trying to preserve the authenticity of the boat, but if you aren't it could be a solution.

Another solution, and one we used for a small part on our boat that we needed thirty of, is to have a pair of new vents made using 3D printing. Since your other vent is undamaged, you could use it as the master to define the design for the printer. Given our recent success with using 3D printing for a boat part, albeit a much smaller one than your part, this is the route I would explore first were it our boat.

I have no idea how much this would cost--- our parts were made for free by the college student who built the printer from scratch over last summer. But we (Boeing) make some amazingly complex components using 3D printing, far more complex than your vent. I imagine that for the right printer and the right operator, making your vent would be a walk in the park.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
What are the dimensions of the vent, Google found these and many more.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
What are the dimensions of the vent, Google found these and many more.
Wow. Based on appearance alone it looks like these are a close if not dead-on match for the originals.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Cheers guys,
Marin: 3d printing is a great option if I can do it for the right price. I'm not too concerned about "authenticity" but if it looked good, that would be a plus. I doubt it can beat the $9 they're getting at west marine though...

Mike, Thanks for the link, that looks really good. I snapped that picture on my way out the door but I'll be sure to compare sizing when I get back. "louvered" was the magic word I was missing. I had done a couple searches without success.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
Give Fisheries Supply a try. Don't know your dimensions but they have several. https://fisheriessupply.scene7.com/is/image/FisheriesSupply/12845_Att_1488_PPM?$Zzoom$&wid=750&hei=750
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote