water in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
After putting diesel in my MS 34 trawler, one 250 gal type, I am getting water in sight glass of fuel filter. No water present when running at dock which makes me think water is just below the pick up line exiting tank. There is a screw cap at top of tank which I can get to.

i would drop a weighted hose in the cap hole and try to pull the water out with a manual pump or manual oil change pump . you will have to be able to get it to the lowest point in the tank .

I can only guess the insurance companies don't want a sump or a drain at the bottom of the tank.

Well you did say you are guessing. ;)
Pretty sure most commercial and or survey built vessels will have a sump and drain in the tank for safety.
Whether or not its a requirement to pass survey I am not sure.
One note, even believe there is no water in the tank, cruising may shake up the tank contents a move any water or trash to the pick up. That sucks.
The only way around it is to install a fuel polishing system.

If you have a sump and drain in your tank and check it monthly you don't have crud or at least we don't.

We don't have a fuel polishing system as such,
We don't have deck fillers either.

Stupid place for them imho as water runs across the deck and degraded orings lead to water in the tank.
Our fillers are a few feet above deck in the cabin sides. Orings are checked every time we take on fuel with spares on hand for easy and timely replacement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom