Water draining of the racor fuel seperator on the gen set, is it necessaryos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

I replaced the filter ( R12P ) on the small racor fuel/seperator that feeds the genset. There was no water in the bowl but the filter was dirty. I understand the need to change the filter, as recommended but

My question is ...is it really necessary to drain bowl as often as per the manual recommendation independent of when you have to change the filter..

On my boat, and I'm sure yours also, the fuel line that feeds the genset is at least 6" above the fuel lines that feed the racors for the main engines.
There is no way water could get to the genset fuel line. If you had water in the fuel tank the main engine racors would get the water before reaching the height of the genset fuel line.

Just trying to get out of one less maintenance item. Your comments please

I would not drain it as long as the bowel plastic is clear enough that I can see into it with a flashlight to check for crud. If the bowel shows nothing then I see no need to drain it.
But it does need to be checked.

The R12P has no clear bowl to see if it has water in it.

The R12P has no clear bowl to see if it has water in it.

And therein lies the challenge. You need to drain the bowl if it had water in it, but you cant tell if it has water in it. Have you ever collected any there? If not, I'd just clear it a filter change time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom