Volvo engine in MS 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimisbell

Guru
Vessel Name
Papillon
Vessel Make
1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Has the MS34 ever been powered with a Volvo?

Yep. Been on a few.

What engine and pros and cons?

TAMD 41, think 200hp. Seemed like a good package. Mid to late 80's? Smoky cold start, expensive parts. Make sure you can all parts as Volvo sometimes can't get everything for older machines.

On Saturday I am going to see a 1978 MS34 that reportedly has a Volvo engine. Not sure the model. From the factory it came with a Perkins 6.354 so this is a re-engine job.

TAMD 41, think 200hp. Seemed like a good package. Mid to late 80's? Smoky cold start, expensive parts. Make sure you can all parts as Volvo sometimes can't get everything for older machines.

Hi,

Smoke cold start belongs to that machine and there is no fault, here it is a really common machine and VP owners say the humor to the boat when start engines, "greetings from the volvo factories" :D

many keep that machine here as one of the best marine motors for reliability. Spare parts will get at least Scandinavia anything. Freight increases the price of parts US ...

here you will find almost all Volvo parts
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7742700.aspx

NBs

Do you recommend any particular parts to have on board, handy, for replacements?

I have a TAMD 41P in my boat with 1700 hours. It's been flawless, needing nothing.
It had the exchangers cleaned out at 1400 hours. Spares on board include filters, impellors, etc. Not much else needed.

Just looked at this one,wiring is rats nest and hosing almost as bad but does start and run...but noisy!! (compared to a Perkins 6.354)

Last edited:
OK, finally got to sea trial the boat:

1) Not too loud with the engine hatch closed Starts and runs smooth. My wife and the wife of the owner sat in the rear cockpit with the sliding doors open and carried on a conversation at WOT without complaining.....except for the smoke when we turned downwind......

2) Its a Volvo TMD 40 A. Only 130 HP.

3) It smokes at WOT and wont got over 2800 (8.2Knots) and should get 3600 at WOT so it is probably badly over propped. The prop is NOT original 4 blade, its a 3 blade but will have to dive on it to get the size.. I suspect that they just threw in an engine and a prop without calculating what was needed.

Other that that its good. The rear bulkhead under the sliding doors is in good shape and no soft spots on the top.

I have a TMD40A. Most are 117 Hp at the prop by the book but some quote them as 165 HP. Don’t let that worry you, you need only half of that or less for regular cruising. Mine smokes for seconds at start up and WOT but at cruise 7 knots, 2100 RPM, no smoke. They are a great engine and parts are available. They can be pricey but seldom need any. Jabsco impellers fit as do aftermarket filters and belts. Good luck with whatever you decide or purchase.

Thanks, I will be getting an oil analysis and another sea trial to see if it smokes at 2100 rpm

Well, I got to the boat again today and I think all is ok with the engine. Just over propped. I put it out of gear as suggested and reved it, momentarily, to 3100, unloaded, and no smoke. Didnt even smoke when starting and North Baltic Sea suggested all Volvos smoked on start up. Tried to get an oil sample but trying to wipe down a dipstick into a jar just doesnt work very fast. Gave up and decided to wait till tomorrow and get a siphon pump.

Well, I finally got info on the engine. Looks like its fine. Only 1688 hours on it.
We will "close" on Tuesday morning. 1978 MS 34 Engine (Volvo TAMD40A) hours are 1,688 and Gen set (Westerbeke 8Kw) hours are 891 so both are lightly used.

Back
Top Bottom