Old 11-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
Vinyl headliner

I have a 2006 30’ pilot main ship with a fabric headliner. It stretches and is pushed into a thin joint. It’s not the carpet glued to fiberglass. The fabric seems to have had some type of backing that has started to flake off. It looks easy enough to pull down and put back up. My question is what vinyl fabric do I order to replace existing fabric? Did you insulate the overhead before you put the fabric back up?
Thanks Jeff.
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Jeff
I looked at the BOM and couldn't find anything.
You might look thru the part / supplier info for other MS, Luhrs, Hunter Parts on my Bacchus website. They are not searchable so only way is to open the thumbnails & scan through them.
Also the StellaBlue website in my Useful Links sections is very helpful. Steve Cyr has a How To on reinstalling the headliner. I don't think he replaced his but might be worth checking w/ him to see if he knows a source.
I don't think there is anything special about the material - it's just a light wt fabric backed vinyl. You might look online or even a local Joanne Fabrics to see if you can match / get close to the color. If some of it is bad are you considering replacing all - if so an exact match is less important.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I'm not sure what you need, but I suggest you check these guys out. They have a lot of marine fabrics and vinyls and their prices are excellent.

Please note they have more than is on this page:

https://www.yourautotrim.com/marinevinyls.html

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Shipshape TV had some episodes about headliner using a vinyl track that they inserted the headliner into. Maybe similar to your system. They used Sunbrella fabric for the headliner. Not the same Sunbrella that is used for enclosures, but rather some of the interior line. It is pretty difficult to stain or damage.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:11 AM   #5

Thanks for advice. Bacchus, thank for checking your BOM. Looking on line at different materials that may work. I will let you know what I come up with.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Huntington NY
Vessel Model: 2003 30' Pilot II 6LPA
Please let me know how you make out as the headliner in my 2003 Pilot II is also starting to flake off. thanks

regards Holty
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #7

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
I went through this on my 34 Pilot under the hard top when installing radar. I followed Steve Cyr's process for taking the liner down, but it was in such bad shape I couldn't reinstall it. I was having some other canvas work done and had the fabricators install new vinyl. The material is as Bacchus says, a fabric backed marine grade vinyl. Putting it up was a 2 person job requiring one person to stretch and hold the fabric while the other used tools as described by Steve Cyr to push the material into the track. It could be done DIY, but you'll need a helper, and a LOT of patience.
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
My Mainship has the flaking ceiling as well. I recently had Don Gioia of Gioia Sails on the boat to quote me on a new bimini and he remarked that he thinks his company did the original ceiling fabric panels for Mainship. Gioia did a lot of the OEM upholstery, fabric and canvas for Mainship, Silverton etc. so he may have the pattern to make up a new set. Gioia Sails 732-901-6770.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
My Mainship has the flaking ceiling as well. I recently had Don Gioia of Gioia Sails on the boat to quote me on a new bimini and he remarked that he thinks his company did the original ceiling fabric panels for Mainship. Gioia did a lot of the OEM upholstery, fabric and canvas for Mainship, Silverton etc. so he may have the pattern to make up a new set. Gioia Sails 732-901-6770.
I've done some dealing w/ Don / Gioia andwill say he is good to work with and they do nice work. Recommend them.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Huntington NY
Vessel Model: 2003 30' Pilot II 6LPA
Good info. thanks

regards Holty
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskinner30PII View Post
Thanks for advice. Bacchus, thank for checking your BOM. Looking on line at different materials that may work. I will let you know what I come up with.
Jeff
A couple more thoughts...
Sailrite.com has vinyl headliner materials listed - you might request some samples

You can call / email Sailrite and they are very helpful. I have one of the sewing machines and call for help now and then.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #12

Bacchus, Funny you mention Gioia. I purchased a winter cover made by Gioia from a guy that had the same boat as mine. His boat caught fire and he no longer had a need for the winter cover. Light weight fabric and easy on and off.

I think I will order the samples from sailrite due to color selection and the Morbern Seabrook foam backed does not look the same as what I have. I'm thinking the Nauga may be what I need?
Not to jump off subject but I did wind up doing the stbr. side rub rail. I placed the caulk the way your diagram had it. I think I have cured that leak. I will wait for better weather to test.