venetian blinds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
How hard is it to take down the port aft venetian blind on a 40 ft mainship trawler?Is it easier if you take down the valance ? Tom

On my 34HT removing the blind wasn't too difficult. Screws were accessible from the bottom.
NOTE! If you plan to replace it... holding in place and aligning holes and inserting screws took 10x more time than removal and some colorful language to assist!

Are 1/2 in wooden blinds, the original equip on my mainship 34 t, still avaiable.

Are 1/2 in wooden blinds, the original equip on my mainship 34 t, still avaiable.

I can't swear mine are 1/2" but mine - OEM - are Hunter Douglas and they were great sending me parts to repair mine and pretty sure you can get same / equivalent replacements if necessary.
They do offer a refurb service but you need to return them to a service center. I was able to do the repair myself w the parts and attached instructions.

Attachments

• Hunter-Douglas Change_Wand_Cord_Tilter.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
Tom
Just a suggestion but others may be more helpful if they know the year & model of your Mainship. You might want to add that to your profile.
It can make a big difference w/ different era MS's whether personal experience applies or not.

If you haven't seen other posts of mine I have posted a searchable late model 34 T/HT BOM and many part photos w/ Mfg info on my website.
Photos are available for other era / models including Luhrs, and Hunter but they are not searchable - one needs to scan through them to find parts.
I also posted info on how to access these in the TF Library - Manuals section

OP, I replaced the cheap aluminum blinds that came on my Mainship 400 with 1" wood blinds a few years ago.

On the port side you first take off the valance, it is attached with three screws, IFIRC. They are hidden by fabric "caps" that you pop off with a flathead screwdriver. After you take off the valance you can reach the blinds, they are screwed to the overhead through the top frame of the blinds. You shouldn't have to take off the cherry "divider" strips between each window just to remove the blinds, but they are just screwed on as well. I added a 3/4" firring strip under them as a spacer to allow the wider blinds to open and close. Worked great.

Only mistake I made was my hands were dirty when I pulled off the valance and I got a little stain on it. It bugs me, but most people don't see it.

Don is correct, hanging the new blinds is a two person job, especially the stb side above the galley.

venetian blind

My 2007 mainship trawler blinds are 1 in vinyl.I bought the boat in 2013 it was in Fla then.Would you think 12 years is about all you can get out of them.Also anyone replace there blinds what was the cost.Last how do I edit my profile.Tom

Tomsboat
Re Profile.... using PC & TF website
Go to User CP on banner near top
Select the edit function from the left side menu
Save changes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom