Transom Door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RESPITE

I've owned a1982 Mainship 1 for the last 10years. Tired of climbing over the gunnels to swim platform. I would like to install a transom door.I had done business with Jim Agans in the past but he has retired as per Kevin Jabrosky who is a nice guy but not knowledgeable about the topic.

Search shows that an 82 Mainshiplll has a trans.door, as do other 83 onwood models have trans.doors.

Was hoping to find one through Mainship. I don't know where they may have sold those items after moving up to N.Jersey.

I have seen a couple of custom made one in Mainship Group web.

Looking for door or some suggestions on how to create one

Thanks for any help , Dave

Dave,

I would think a good yard should be able to make one.* I would not want to pay the bill but I do not think it is impossible.

The late model Mainships have one so there are plenty to copy from.

Any door on a Mainship I would be custom. They did not come from the factory with a door.

There are many that have made doors, most are very weak but they "get by".

If you make one be sure to beef up the transom otherwise the transom will flex when the stern lines have a lot of strain on them. I owned a model 1 for 14 years and contemplated cutting in a door but didn't want to sacrifice strength because we rafted a lot.

If you join the Yahoo owners group you'll see several examples of doors in their picture files.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom