Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

City: Smithville
Vessel Name: Fool Moon
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship Nantucket
Switching bulbs to LED

I am planning to switch out my dozen+ incandescent bulbs to LED (cabin) on my 36 Nantucket. Has anyone done this and what was the impact to house battery drain?

SkyRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Depends what you are taking out watt wise...but it can be significant if swapping out the 2000 vintage halogen fixtures that were so popular.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Guru

Tried doin' that but the LEDs were woefully lackin' in Lumens.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #4

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
I did that on my last sailboat and it made a huge difference in consumption. Don't forget your anchor light also.

Cheers, Bill
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Tried doin' that but the LEDs were woefully lackin' in Lumens.
We had the same experience sort of; noticeably dimmer. However, we also found that a similarly spec'd LED from a different source was much brighter, so I guess you really have to pay attention to what you're purchasing.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We've changed all interior, all engine room, some exterior, and all courtesy lighting to LED, and we also changed the whole anchor/mastlight fixture to LED. In ALL cases, the LEDs put out more light, in some cases LOTS more light (the anchor light, for instance).

At the same time, we've reduced DC power consumption for lighting by about 90%.

It pays to shop; compare lumens or candela, compare color temperature (~2700K is approximately the warm lighting incandescent bulbs provide), compare voltage capability (you want LEDs that can deal with something like 10-30VDC, NOT just straight 12V LEDs), compare heat sink capabilities, and when necessary compare whether dimmable or not.

FWIW, most of ours have been from marinebeam.com, not cheap, and some from superbrightleds.com, ditto not cheap. Some of the earlier LEDs I used from a different source had some heat issues, so we replaced.

Another FWIW, I think the specific product name for our G4 bi-pins -- most of our serious interior lighting -- is marinebeam's "Force 12" or something like that. 12 LEDs per disc, warm white (2700K), dimmable at least on our dimmers.

-Chris
Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #7

City: Victoria
We replaced our lights with LEDs and noticed a big difference in how long it took to run the house batteries down. Also, because there's no heat issue, you can go for more light output.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I also replaced saloon, cabin & ER halogens w/ LED. I've had several (from different suppliers) several have quit and need replacement. I've started to pay close attention to V range as mentioned.
A draw was reduced by approx 90%
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I went with hero-led.com. You're buying directly from china. They offer the 10 to 30 volt DC G4 replacements which have been great. As mentioned, you need to go with the brightest ones in warm white for living areas. Prefer the day light or cool white.for the engine room and anchor light. Out of about 100 units I've had 2 failures. I consider this acceptable for the savings. Would also agree with about a 85 to 90% power savings.

One note of caution : you need to down size fuses. These are electronic devices that in rare instances can fail and start a fire if there is enough amperage behind it. I doubled the amount of fixtures in the engine room and converted to LED. There use to be a 40 amp breaker for that circuit. It's now a 5 amp breaker.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Ted
Excellent point re changing breaker / fuse.
I'll bet few - myself included - have done that.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #11

good advise. I'll proceed to replace my automotive style 1141 incandescent bulbs with LED's of similar lumens and color temperature and report results.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #12

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Has anyone done this and what was the impact to house battery drain?[/QUOTE]

Went from 10 amps to 1 amp in the main cabin/galley in the old boat. Used eBay cheapies with no failures.

Rob
Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
.........compare voltage capability (you want LEDs that can deal with something like 10-30VDC, NOT just straight 12V LEDs),..............
This is critical and not doing this is the reason for so many reports of failures. A 12 volt LED requires 12 volts. Actual DC voltage on a boat can vary quite a bit and with battery charging, it can be 14 volts or more. This will shorten the life of LEDs considerably.

The way the 10-30 volt LEDs work is, inside the case is a "driver" that monitors the current through the LEDs and controls it by turning the power on and off at high rate that's not visible to the human eye.

LEDs (usually there are several LEDs in a "lamp") typically use 10% of the power of incandescent lamps of the same intensity. That's a good reason to use them on a boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
LEDs (usually there are several LEDs in a "lamp") typically use 10% of the power of incandescent lamps of the same intensity. That's a good reason to use them on a boat.[/QUOTE]

Mine are rated 14 1/2 watts to equal 100 watt incandescent, so pretty
close to 10%

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Marinebeam conversions for standart overhead lights......All white or Red/white models available.....lots of lumens..

Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Another vote for Marinebeam.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We've changed all interior, all engine room, some exterior, and all courtesy lighting to LED, and we also changed the whole anchor/mastlight fixture to LED. In ALL cases, the LEDs put out more light, in some cases LOTS more light (the anchor light, for instance).

At the same time, we've reduced DC power consumption for lighting by about 90%.

It pays to shop; compare lumens or candela, compare color temperature (~2700K is approximately the warm lighting incandescent bulbs provide), compare voltage capability (you want LEDs that can deal with something like 10-30VDC, NOT just straight 12V LEDs), compare heat sink capabilities, and when necessary compare whether dimmable or not.

FWIW, most of ours have been from marinebeam.com, not cheap, and some from superbrightleds.com, ditto not cheap. Some of the earlier LEDs I used from a different source had some heat issues, so we replaced.

Another FWIW, I think the specific product name for our G4 bi-pins -- most of our serious interior lighting -- is marinebeam's "Force 12" or something like that. 12 LEDs per disc, warm white (2700K), dimmable at least on our dimmers.

-Chris
Chris is dead on.

Too many just go for any old LED. Not likely going to give acceptable results. There is more to buying a suitable LED than just that it is LED.

Done properly you can substantially drop power usage, keep the brilliance you have now or improve it where needed, keep the warm white most of us want and so on.

Even the voltage range is important. 10-30VDC will keep the same light output under varying voltage supplies which is important.

I used a source other than Marinebeam or Superbright but the same needs applied and I got a nice light for both the boat and my trailer.

The old boat bulbs each drew ~ 1.8A at nominal 12V. The LED draw about 200mA and throw more light. I can now run all 6 salon lights with less draw than one of the old bulbs, not that we do that. I explain this only to highlight the power use reduction available.

But do not look at that power reduction only or you may still be disappointed.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRockin View Post
good advise. I'll proceed to replace my automotive style 1141 incandescent bulbs with LED's of similar lumens and color temperature and report results.
I ended up replacing qty 14 of my cabin overhead incandescent bulbs with Amazon cheapies Endpage LED's ($2 per bulb). One of the bulbs was defective out of the package. Current draw reduction is similar to other's posted results. Brightness very similar to the incandescent- warm white. Tested with voltages from about 10.5- 13 volts. So far very happy with the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	62512  
Old 03-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
LEDs use about 10 percent of the old incandescent bulbs power. Yes the cheapest are not as bright. Where my wife complains I leave the old. We have just one fixture left over the range to find something bright enough but not offensive.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #20
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Just a small comment, your fuses/breakers are intended to protect the wires, not the device...