Suggestions and informations for a potential future owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davide

Dear all,

I'm on the*search of a new boat and one of the option is*the new*Mainship 395. Would to have some information from you, because I'm not*100% sure it will be the right one for me and have no experience about that shipyard. I really like trawlers and the new 395 at all, but I want to be sure it isn't a "house boat".*I will use it in the Mediterranean and I want a boat which can manage even rough sea and it's made for an active cruising. Space is important for me, but having a reliable boat with almost every weather and sea is more important to me.

I don't want to make unpolite questions for a Mainship forum(!); just don't have many informations about this boat.
Thank you for any help and suggestion. Davide, Italy

Davide,

Welcome to the forum. You will get good advice here.* I think you need to tell us a little more about your cruising style.* If you are mostly cruising close to home or passagemaking will make a big difference.

From what I know about the Med, this may not be such a good selection.* Mainships are a good boat for the money, but are coastal cruisers with occasional offshore runs.* I have had one, but don't think I would like it for cruiising distances in the Med.* I have been on a 400' ship there that was taking* good beating.

There will be other opinions, but I think a full displacement passagemaker would work very well.**A very robust planing hull with plenty of power could work if you are not concerned about fuel costs.

What area in Italy will you be boating?

Davide,

I own a 2003 390 Mainship which is very similar to the 395. As Don said they make a very good coastal cruiser and you get a lot of boat for the money. I have had mine in 2 meter seas several times, but it is very uncomfortable as the boat is a bit top heavy. Most "trawlers" of this style are.

I spent close to a year in the Med when I was in the navy and was amazed when we went past Gibralter to see absolutly flat water with not even a ripple; while three weeks later we were in 10-12 meter seas with hurricaine force winds that ripped our life boats off and damaged the ship.

If you're cruising the Greek Islands or a similar area in settled weather it might be a good choice, but if you're looking for a boat to use for extended off shore cruising, i would look at something like a Krogan.

Good Luck

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom