Old 01-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Sleeping beneath the overhang of the 390 forward berth

A few years of research told me that the Mainship 390 was the right boat for us. Today was our third visit to a 390 (actually a 350), but the first time we stretched out on the "queen" bed in the forward stateroom. I am 6' 2" and in order for my feet to stay on the mattress, my entire head and shoulders had to be under the overhang of the bow deck.

I might be able to overcome the claustrophobia and I would (eventually) learn to not bang my head on the bulkhead when sitting up in bed, but scootching down in order to swing my feet down onto the floor is most likely a deal killer for us in a Mainship 390. And if that didn't do it, then my wife's inability to overcome the claustrophobia is a deal killer.

Back to the drawing board. Unless I overlooked something. Anyone else encounter this problem? Well after leaving the walk through and discussing our thoughts, it occurred to me that there may be enough room between the foot of the bed and the stateroom door to move the mattress toward the stern enough to clear our heads. Anyone take that approach?

Another detail is that the boat we looked at today was a 350. My understanding is that the only difference between the 350 and the 390 is the name, but I have been wrong my share of the time. Any chance the overhang above the stateroom berth was changed for the 390?

HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We looked at a 390 before we bought our current boat. Did not notice that but we didn’t lie down on the bed. One known problem with them is the bolt on swim platform taking on water. Make sure this problem has been addressed.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Same issue with our boat. We adapted to the height after after 2 contacts. Claustrophobia could be more personal. I`ve seen beds set up with pillows the other end, but unless you create a bedhead you`d be losing your pillows over the edge.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Thought about approaching it head at the foot style, but the "queen" bed is quite narrow at the stern end and that would add to the challenge.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Trying to get out of bed with head towards the stern in the middle of the night for a pee doesn't sound like much fun. Sounds like it's time for a new dream.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We chartered a few of those. In our case, the overhead wasn't so much of an issue (and I too am 6'2") it was the very loud bow slap, especially at anchor. It was impossible for me to sleep up there without earplugs, and I don't like that idea on a boat. We took to using the fold out couch in the salon, which I kind of enjoyed for a few reasons.

Beyond that we thought they were great boats for their size.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We have a 2003 390. As far as I know the 390 and 350 are exactly the same except for some minor changes in the galley. I am 6' and have gotten used to the low overhead but your extra 2" might be an issue. I do not have to go all the way up to the square part. However I sleep on my side in somewhat of a fetal position and have plenty of room. My wife sleeps on her back but she's only 5' 3" so its not an issue with her. I have bumped my head a couple of times getting up in the middle of the night.
The comment about wave slap is pretty common with most semi displacement boats. it was only an issue with me once and forced me to the sofa bed in the salon.
Other than those issues the 350/390 is a pretty good boat, and a great boat for the money.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We have a similar issue with our Nordic Tug 42. I'm 5'9" so getting in or out is not an issue. However, it had a huge impact on other bedroom activities, and not in a good way.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Maybe replace the contoured mattress with a square one and make a simple headboard for your glasses and book and a light which would keep the pillows in place and put your feet under the overhang.

Or shop for a boat with an aft cabin.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #10

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
The 350 and 390 are different we dock next a 350, 390 is larger in Main salon and aft deck as well as Up top, I am 6'2 and yes if you sleep dead straight you have a concern, I find myself on my side with my knees up, Our Gracie ( our Schnoodle) sleeps over our heads in what we call the cave under the Overhang. We came for a sailboat with a Pullman berth, and we are thrilled. Where is this perfect boat for under 100K?
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We chartered a few of those. In our case, the overhead wasn't so much of an issue (and I too am 6'2") it was the very loud bow slap, especially at anchor. It was impossible for me to sleep up there without earplugs, and I don't like that idea on a boat. We took to using the fold out couch in the salon, which I kind of enjoyed for a few reasons.

Beyond that we thought they were great boats for their size.
Need to drink more wine Bow slap disappears
Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #12

City: Louisiana
Vessel Name: Jolly Mon
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
350 and 390 are EXACT same boat with a few minor changes in cabinets and joinery in salon and gallery.
gerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Need to drink more wine Bow slap disappears
I don't like being drunk or deaf when at anchor, but maybe that's just me. Some people can sleep right through the slap, and some don't anchor out much or expose their boat to it. I really like those boats overall, but man, that's brutal. I tried to sleep once as a guest on one, in the little bunk cabin. It was bad there too.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There is a book titled "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolakos, but it`s not about waves and SD hulls. If you look at the Mainship hull, I think the chine "cutaway" starts above the waterline;in my experience of 2 SD hulls, one slapped and one doesn`t,if it starts above waterline there will be slap.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
The 350 and 390 are different we dock next a 350, 390 is larger in Main salon and aft deck as well as Up top,
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerilla View Post
350 and 390 are EXACT same boat with a few minor changes in cabinets and joinery in salon and gallery.
Yep. We have a 350 and have friends with a 390. We raft together frequently and have walked the gunnels comparing. They are identical with only a few exceptions. The exterior is absolutely identical

Stern Cleats:
-> 350 are mounted on the transom
-> 390 they are inboard with hawses on the transom corners

Handrails:
-> 350: Aluminum
-> 390: SS

Bridge Salon:
-> 350: bench seats
-> 390: Bench seats with two semi-circular backrests

Salon:
-> 350: small semi-useless 'desk' on stbd inside of slider
-> 390: No desk, small shelf instead.

Galley:
-> 350: surface mounted cabinets
-> 390: Flush mounted cabinets
dish storage in port shelf beneath port windshield

Guest Berth:
-> 350: Full size bunk
-> 390: Twins

Master Berth:
-> 350: slightly smaller island berth
-> 390: Slightly larger berth
Taller cabinets

Bow:
-> 390: Samson Post

Windshield:
-> 350: 2 windshield wipers
-> 390: 3 windshield wipers

Gelcoat Color:
-> 350: white
-> 390: a touch of a cream color (side by side, the 390 is has a tiny hint of beige compared to our 350).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
....... it was the very loud bow slap, especially at anchor. It was impossible for me to sleep up there without earplugs
Honestly, that is going to occur with any berth in the bow. Unfortunately, there are really three types of people; Either you don't notice it, you do notice and learn to ignore it, or you simply can't get used to it.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
it occurred to me that there may be enough room between the foot of the bed and the stateroom door to move the mattress toward the stern enough to clear our heads.
You have the room to either move the mattress aft, or open the head and master doors, but not both. The doors swing inward, and they both come extremely close to the bunk. Plus once you move it aft, you're going to have to crawl in over the foot to get into the berth. Plus access your drawers will be awkward.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerilla View Post
Sorry they are Not - I dock next to a 350 it is shorter in Main salon look at the windows on both you will see, and aft deck which reflects up top. forward yes it is identical
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Sorry they are Not - I dock next to a 350 it is shorter in Main salon look at the windows on both you will see, and aft deck which reflects up top. forward yes it is identical

Where does that extra length show up overall? According to Mainship, the 350 and 390 are both 39'9" LOA...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #20

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
The OP might consider an Albin 36, instead. Its master cabin is in the stern. At the risk of boring everyone, the sailing warships of the Royal Navy, back in the day, had captain & senior officers berthed aft, junior officers amidships, and crew forward. (That's why Annapolis cadets are called "midshipmen." You learn a lot reading Patrick O'Brien's "Master and Commander" series of novels.)
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote