Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

City: citrus springs
single vs twin

looking at mainship 34 pilot, like the twin engine because of its shallow draft,but told it does not have enough room for working on engines and they will charge considerably more to work on engines because of this, any experiences and comments would be appreciated thanks mark

penmarfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

City: Markham
Vessel Name: Loons Nest
Vessel Model: 2003 American Tug 34
Hello. Having owned both types - an Ocean Alexander 38 with twin Lehmans, and now an AT-34 with a single Cummins, I am a strong believer in the single engine scenario.
- one half the maintenance cost
- easier access to both sides of a single engine
There is a reason that most commercial fishing vessels are singles.

BUT ... you better get your maintenance right. Good luck.

David

David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
When I was looking for our Pilot 34 some years ago, I had the opportunity to take a hard look at one with twin Yanmar 4LHs. I do all of my own diesel engine maintenance and maybe I was spoiled by the spacious engine room of our prior single engine Mainship 34T.

The 34T has a beam of 14' which is abnormally wide for that length. But it is the only boat that I would be comfortable working on the twin engine version.

So when I looked at the Pilot 34 twin with its 12' beam, I said no way am I going to be able to crawl over and around those engines to get to the outboard stuff. The Pilot 34 has a very large engine hatch where the entire floor of the aft cabin swings up to provide access. But there is all of the beam port and starboard underneath the settees that is still covered. You have to lay on the twin and reach down to work on anything outboard, which since engines aren't made in left and right hand versions is everything. Only the stuff in the front of the engine- the belts and the coolant pump is fairly easy to reach because you can crawl up the middle to get to it.

But if you just open your checkbook for engine maintenance, then go for it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
If I could have a single QSM11 at 660hp instead of my 2 6BTAs at 330 per....I would take that single in a heartbeat....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
If I could have a single QSM11 at 660hp instead of my 2 6BTAs at 330 per....I would take that single in a heartbeat....
Baker
What would estimate the cost of normally planing vessel with a single in the 40 foot range? That would be a real nice vessel like an MJM; except for specialty builds few others come to mind.

As far as double the maintenance cost, nope. Two engines at say 220 HP vs one at 400? Been there done that. But all prejudices aside, it really comes down to what boat do you want. ATs, NTs or smaller Nordhavns don't come with twins and Flemings, SeaRays, Carvers or Outer Reefs don't come with singles.

We have an acquaintance who owns an N60 with twins. He has smaller twins vs a normally installed larger single with a get home. And - gasp - he has wet exhaust!

Different strokes.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
HAHAHA!!!!! I was being somewhat facetious. But my purely theoretical first choice in boat configurations would be a single with a bow thruster. Handling it is simple. And maintaining it is simpler....regardless of cost.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
On a single, just make sure it has at least a bow thruster. I have a single and wouldn't be able to dock it in the wind without my thruster.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I hate not having the option of twins....

But, this year doing the dampner plate replacement, head gasket and then engine alignment....

Whew, not sure I would have had the patience and energy to do 2 at a time. Sure stagger them, but then there is economy of effort with doing 2 at once...but mine was easy due to room....maybe with twins the lack of room would have killed me. Especially with all the other maintenance.

So, depending on engine room access and the amount of maintenance you do or have to pay for could be a factor.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote