Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #101
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
ralphost wrote:
"With twin engine you have doubled your probability of having to deal with an engine maintenance or repair".
Actually I think it's more than that. Our twin engine boats suffer from less maintenance because we have the other engine to get us home. But the probability of getting home is much higher w a twin.

And about the cost (after initial) you guys just do'nt get it. Think in terms of maintaining 240hp or 100hp or whatever total hp. It's not the number of engines that cost money but the total power. With a lot of trawlers where their twin engined offerings cost twice as much simply because they (the twins) had twice as much power having little to do w their having two engines.

My dreamboat would have twin engines. It will burn almost exactly the same amount of fuel and cost me very close to the same amount to maintain. It will be considerably easier to maneuver in close quarters and it will be much much more likely to get me home. Seems a no brainer to me. But of course only in terms of boats w the same amount of total power as if one had a 240hp twin and converted it to a 240hp single or a 120hp single to a 120hp twin.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #102

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
So if you have twins, you're able to change the oil in each in 1/2 the time, and filters and other maintenance items only cost half as muchfor twins as with a single?

If you guys spent half the time making your single reliable as you do justifying twins you wouldn't have to worry about getting home.

We go with a diesel because of it's long life and reliability, but we'd better get two just in case?

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #103
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyost View Post
It will double your chances of not being able to leave for a voyage because one of the engines needs help. You will never leave if one of these has a problem.
R,
And if you have left in your single engine boat and your one engine craps out up the Inside Passage somewhere, your chances of coming home under your own power are zip unless you can fix the problem yourself. The twin guy just keeps going. There's an upside and a downside to everything.

What I've noticed is that the most vehement defenders of single engine boats all have.... single engine boats. You can rationalize anything if it's yours.

I always get a kick out of the "twice as much oil" thing. Compared to overall cost of boating, oil is free. If a person bases their "how many engines?" decision on the cost of oil and filters they had best start thinking about a different pastime.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #104
Guru

Please observe Marin that I have a single and am in favor of twins. They are more trouble to maintain mostly because of more parts and generally twice as likely to have a repair issue.

jeffnick wrote
"So if you have twins, you're able to change the oil in each in 1/2 the time, and filters and other maintenance items only cost half as muchfor twins as with a single?" I think there will be a difference in cost and time but it will be FAR FAR closer to the same than twice as much. I'd put it in the negligible category. Also consider that an eight cylinder engine is twice as likely to suffer a piston failure but how often do you hear about that? It would take more time but almost as much time to pump 14 quarts out of one engine as 7 quarts out of two engines. I do'nt know how much a big head gasket would cost compared to two small ect ect but I'm convinced it would be about the same.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #105
Veteran Member

City: marco island
single vs double engines

Great discussion but time to end.....
After reading all your comments and giving it much thought I decided to go with the single yanmar 370hp over the twin yanmar 240's.
jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #106
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Please observe Marin that I have a single and am in favor of twins.
You are the realistic exception.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #107
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

I always get a kick out of the "twice as much oil" thing. Compared to overall cost of boating, oil is free. If a person bases their "how many engines?" decision on the cost of oil and filters they had best start thinking about a different pastime.
Amen to that! Same with fuel. People wring their hands over the cost of fuel when purchasing a boat...twins burn twice as much as singles, etc. 200 to 300 hours worth of fuel per year is negligible compared to the total cost of properly maintaining a boat.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #108
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Amen to that! Same with fuel. People wring their hands over the cost of fuel when purchasing a boat...twins burn twice as much as singles, etc. 200 to 300 hours worth of fuel per year is negligible compared to the total cost of properly maintaining a boat.
I'm not so sure that applies to everyone here...maybe the average boater..

What if your more like 600 hrs per year because your a liveaboard and do the ICW every year....plus once a boat is made right and you do all your own work....that fuel budget is a much bigger chunk that to be ignored.

Sure I don't think twins double everything but it starts to add up for some people living on a more meager income/fixed income...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
How bout ya just "Run what ya Brung". Can we move on to a more meaningful topic now???? Who wants to talk about Rocnas?
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #110
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
How bout ya just "Run what ya Brung". Can we move on to a more meaningful topic now???? Who wants to talk about Rocnas?
I LOVE IT! Run what ya brung and move on!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #111
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Sounds good to me! Run over here and I'll buy the first round..
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #112

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
"A properly set up cruising boat that strays more than a days run from assistance certainly has a strong argument for twins or a substantial get home engine."

The boat I selected to buy only came with one engine. I decided if I ever run open waters beyond a day from assistance, I will seek another boat to run with. Problem solved for both boats.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #113
Guru

Six pages on something that really dos'nt make much difference is probably enough. I do'nt have have much trouble talking about anchors and we hav'nt got much else go'in so why not. Could be another six pages of something that dos'nt make much difference. But who has balls enough to start a Rocna thread?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #114
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
How bout ya just "Run what ya Brung". Can we move on to a more meaningful topic now????
Like I said in post number 7!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #115
Guru

No offense Sailor of Fortune but I'm wondering why this happens. Walt was a good one to announce that a thread was over and conversation should cease. Why is it that lots of guys can't stand it when they think enough's been said and further posting should not happen. I remember Walt would get frustrated over this. Why do'nt they just stop looking at that thread themselves and move on. I think a thread should stop when nobody has anything to say and posts stop on that thread. But only until later (or much later) when there's more to say the thread should be started up again. Maybe it's a need for closure, to be done and finished w something. Perhaps it's the J/P personality thing.....J types like things to be decided. If there's no further comments I'll assume that's the case but just because one person thinks a thread is over is no reason for all the rest of us to follow along like ducklings.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #116
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quack, quack...!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duck-curb.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	11156  

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #117
Guru

Or like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	multi stage filtration (220 x 450).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	11157  
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #118

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
~ follow along like ducklings ~
Or lemmings.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #119
Scraping Paint

Hey, all you guys whining about how bad two engines are.... Take a look at those photos up above. Every one of those ducks is twin-engine. Even Mother Nature knows the inherent value of twins.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #120
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I've pulled two boats home from horn island this year and they both had a single. I heard the same story twice. This is the first time this has happened and that ***** is a pos. Insert your favorite engine brand in the *****

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote