Side Power / Bow Thruster issue on 2007 Pilot 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJFPAF

Vessel Name
Sight Sea'R
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot II
I have an issue with the side-power unit and I am hoping someone on the forum has already had and solved the issue. Perhaps their is one component that needs to be replaced?

The issue is that the bow thruster, intermittently, does not turn on. Sometimes it turns on and works great, while other times it does not turn on. I have checked the power to the harness below the helm - both sides, and even disassembled the joystick - which also gets power inside the joystick.

One battery is brand new, and the other 2 batteries were new last season. The alternator belts are tight. Also, because it happens intermittently, I have ruled out a blown fuse. I have also disconnected / reconnected the cables below the helm.

The trouble shooting manuals I have seen are not terribly helpful to me because I am not a marine electrician (although at the rate I am going - that may be my next career...). Also - I had to hire 3 separate marine "experts" to trouble shoot my last issue - the ZF micro-commander issue where I ended up switching to manual cables because frankly, they could not resolve THAT electronic issue...

If anyone has had a similar issue with their bow thruster and found the resolution, I would greatly appreciate your advice!

Thanks
Kevin

By turning on, do you mean enabling the joystick, or do you mean actually running
the motors?

On your system, do you have to turn on the power at the joystick to enable it? (push both on buttons at the same time) This allows the joystick to control the thruster itself. If the power is not coming on at the joystick after pressing both buttons, you may have a bad joystick controller, or a loose wire. If the power to the joystick comes on, but you get no action from the thrusters, you have a different problem that may involve the solenoids or the joystick controller. I got the best support by contacting Sleipner motor in Norway via email. They told me which pins on the back of the controller to test to verify that it was getting power. If your joystick controller is like mine, they are not repairable and cost several hundred dollars to replace.

Power at joystick does not turn on

Thanks - yes, the power turns on at the joystick by pressing 2 On buttons simultaneously. Sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it does not - and I mean from a dead start when the boat has been sitting for a week. So, it is not because I exceeded the time limit using the thruster for too long.

I plan to disassemble the solenoid box at the top of the thruster motor itself tonight, and clean those connections.

How did you determine that it was a bad joystick? I am trying to avoid changing out one part at a time, especially when each part costs several hundred dollars.

Thanks!

Sorry - I just realized you advised me to contact Sleiper motor in Norway via email; that they told you which pins on the back of the controller to test to verify that it was getting power. I will try that.

Nice troubleshooting guide, I'm saving it to my onboard library.

It took two weeks for imtra to respond to my email. The guys in Norway got back to me the next day. The timer I referred to is the one that turns off the system after a set period of non-use. Mine is only six seconds when it is supposed to be around a minute. Side power told me that the only way to correct it would be to purchase a new controller and joystick.

If the system works properly when the controller turns on and lights up, it seems that the problem is most likely the controller.

When you try to turn on the system and get no lights, have you checked to see if you are getting 12 v at the pins on the back of the controller? If you are getting power, it maybe a failed controller. Sleipner told me which pins to check to verify that the controller was getting proper power.

Thanks to everyone that gave me their insight! I plan to contact both New Bedford and Norway - my guess is that it is the controller / joy stick as I tested the solenoid contact points yesterday and they all have power.

Best regards,
Kevin

Same problem on my 30' Pilot. Not fun when your dependent on it in a tight situation in a lock or something. Not much rudder authority at all backing up. Trouble shot it down to relay on top of thruster by voltage directly to thruster terminals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom