Shift cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holty

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
2003 30' Pilot II 6LPA
Need a new shift cable for my 2003 30' Pilot II. I know it's a long shot but wondering if anyone knows the length. I would like to have the new cable in hand and use the old cable as a snake to pull it through. thanks

regards Holty

I think all cable manufacturers mark the length of the cable. Morse/Teleflex/Seastar mark them in inches. For example if you see 144 on the cable it’s 12 feet long.

By the way, Seastar was just bought by Dometic.

Pull the old cable out with a piece of either nylon rope or 10 gauge wire attached to it. Then pull the new cable in with the rope or the wire.

Ted

Thanks guys. I thought about the rope deal but wanted to make it a one shot project. I will look for measurement markings.

regards Holty

Pull the throttle quadrant and disconnect at the tranny, then pull the broken inner cable out of both ends of the housing. Measure the two pieces for your length. I did this a month ago and nailed it on the first order from Amazon.

It was under $50 for a 16 ft cable. The installation was completed in a couple of hours solo.

The ss core of these control cables make an excellent electrical snake. Has just the right amount of stiffness and is a smaller profile than a "real" elect snake.

:socool:

I'm also replacing shift and maybe throttle cables on a 2004 MS 400. Anyone know the lengths by chance?
Paul 20220906_110926.jpg

I would caution you re buying a cable based on what what's in another boat, even the same make and model.
You may have different power which may call for different length cables, the manufacturer may have chosen different routing from one boat to the next, or a previous owner may have changed the routing. For a variety of other reasons, see what you have. If you can't find length markings, measure the jacket and add 18", that should give you the factory length.

:socool:

Attachments

• 33c markings.png
    33c markings.png
    42 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom