Running wires in overhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-Sea Going

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
E-Sea Going
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 430
I have a 2007 Pilot 430, I plan to install an additional antenna and I'm have trouble figuring out how to rum the wires in the salon overhead, any advice appreciated.

I can't be of any help with your problem, but I will suggest that when you run your wires that you also run a length of 1/8" nylon rope along with your wires. That way if you ever need to run wires again you'll have something to attach them to and just be able to pull them through with your nylon rope.

Oh, and welcome to TF

I'd start by getting into your flybridge and start tracing where stuff goes now.

A tone probe is also fantastic following wires. Put the tone sender on one end of a wire and the probe will help you follow where the wire goes.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-601K-G-Basic-Tone-Probe/dp/B0042VII5W

Sometimes getting from point A to point B takes a more circuitous route than you'd expect. The flybridge on my boat runs a TON of stuff down from the lower helm, forward to the A-pillar of the windshield and then inside that up to the flybridge. And there's an oddball access panel in the ceiling of the starboard stateroom that provides access to the base of the A-pillar. I wouldn't have assumed this (as the B-pillar is MUCH closer) but following the probe signal told me otherwise.

That and in addition to the fiberglass poles (which are great) it's helpful to have a flat fish tape. Not the typical wire type. I find the flat kind seems to slide better along/through various spots without getting stuck. The thicker wire kind are good in some situations but I've often had trouble with them getting hung up.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-438-2X-Steel-Fish-Tape/dp/B001HWEEIY

There are now some really inexpensive borescope cameras on the market now. I've got one that's wireless. You connect your phone to it's wireless signal to see the live signal. This is an improvement over the kind that plug into your phone, as those tended to be a hassle trying to juggle both the camera and the phone ends. This wireless one lets you rest the phone in your line of vision while keeping your hands free to move the camera.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNNSM1L

What I haven't yet found is a good, BRIGHT, light on a gooseneck. I've got a magnetic base one that's proven handy, but there's nothing magnetic the boat for the base to grab. Still, the 20" gooseneck has proved useful for twisting the light into tight places under the helm and inside columns.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6T1N1K

I've also found it's sometimes helpful to do the work in either BRIGHT sunlight or after dark. Sunlight shines through thinner places in the fiberglass, likewise a BRIGHT light if it's dark. Which can be helpful finding just where there is or isn't a way to get things through somewhere.

Late reply

Sorry for the late response, appreciate the insight

Attachments

• Salon TV.jpg
    Salon TV.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 35
  • State Room TV.jpg
    State Room TV.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
Not sure about the 430, but the Pilot 34 has a square access cover in the middle of the cabin overhead. When you remove it there are wires for the radar, anchor light, gps, etc inside. Those wires go from the fixtures above and then over to the starboard side and down the chase at the corner of the starboard side windshield. There is also a small access cover in the top of that corner. If you want to put your antenna on the starboard side above the windshield then you can probably access it from the corner access cover.

You can work a fish tape from the middle opening over to the small corner opening and then down to behind the helm or from the corner down to behind the helm.

Does your boat have a similar access covers?

David

overhead

I had a 2004 Pilot 34 Rum Runner, we loved that boat. The pilot 43 does not have the same access covers, the overhead is a liner. I have found a wire chase but it is full and couldn't fit a pencil thru the opening.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom