Running on plane with genset running ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

altouchet

I have a 2004 Pilot 30 II with a Yanmar 315 and Next Gen 3.5kw.
I have never run an extended period of time at cruising speed with the genset running as well. I have only run for maybe an hour or so, and everything was fine.
Do you guys see any problem with running 5 or 6 hours at 17-18 knots while running the genset and air conditioner?

If sea water through hull and intake are designed right, absolutely no problem running gen on plane. Since it is a production boat from a well known brand, those details should be covered. Just once on plane go look at gen exhaust and make sure it is still spitting water.

Do you guys see any problem with running 5 or 6 hours at 17-18 knots while running the genset and air conditioner?
Coming back from Catalina about 6 weeks ago,We were running at 15- 18 knots with the genny running for 5.25 hours with no problems. (I was not using the a/c, however.) :blush:

It's better to have a reasonable load on the generator. Engines running generators for long hours at light load tend to glaze their cylinders/sleeves. Sometimes in 1000 hours.
Slower turning engines don't suffer from this as much. 1200 rpm engines have less trouble than 1800 rpm, etc.

If they are in the same "compartment", keep an eye on ambient temps.

I run mine while under way on a regular basis with no issues.

We always run our generators and we're often on plane and faster than you're talking. They are just more engines and you certainly are running your main engine.

As the Scottish saying goes "A chance would be a fine thing". We have Lehman 120s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom