Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
It's refreshing to have a larger boater confirm what I've suspected to be true for some time. Boating costs scale remarkably well, percentage wise. Our fuel cost is a similar in percentage of total (somewhat less because of less hours ran) to yours.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It's refreshing to have a larger boater confirm what I've suspected to be true for some time. Boating costs scale remarkably well, percentage wise. Our fuel cost is a similar in percentage of total (somewhat less because of less hours ran) to yours.
We had a 30' runabout on the lake when we lived in NC. Now that was different as we kept it at our dock. No overnights so no docking costs. But then couldn't make a hundred mile run either. Our fuel was probably high percentage wise since we did use it a lot. Still you had the maintenance plus you had to allow for future engine rebuilds although we didn't keep it to that point. And if you decided to add depreciation in, it lost far more percentage wise than any trawler or coastal boat I know.

I just did some comparisons of boat sizes and estimated expenses using the Luxyachts site. Now these were estimates. I even went up to 200'. Was interesting to see the consistency in ratios. There isn't really a single area of costs that isn't size variable. I'd say one thing though that could skew the smaller boats and that's when you have an owner who can do most of the maintenance, from engines to hull painting, themselves.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'd say one thing though that could skew the smaller boats and that's when you have an owner who can do most of the maintenance, from engines to hull painting, themselves.
I agree with that with a caveat. The owner has to decide if the time spent doing those tasks is worth the cost savings as it will normally cut into their use time. We have some awesome threads here with folks doing astounding things to their boats. While I do have the skills to do many of those same things but just not the time.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote