Ranger 41 trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
Just won the lottery and have $750,000 to spend. The list price on the Ranger 41 now seems to fit within my budget. Any thoughts on the boats value?

I have no personal experience with Rangers. They appear to have many features for their price but I've heard conflicting comments about their overall quality. I would be particularly cautious about the pod drives based on my travels here in PNW waters with lots of flotsam. They are very exposed and very expensive to repair and service.

If you like the tug style, I think you could find many excellent used Nordic Tugs and American Tugs in that price range.

I have no personal experience with them as well. If I had that kind of money to spend for that size range of boat, I think I would look elsewhere. Now, for a trailerable pocket cruiser, I think they are a very nice boat with lots of very happy owners up here in the PNW.

Congrats...but...will you have enough money left over for increased costs?

What a downer dude, eh?

I for one find for that kind of money there are a lot of other boats for a lot less money that give you so much more. You could bank a tremendous amount of funds for future purchases!

Congrats! My lottery dreamboat is a Kadey Krogen 44. They rarely come up in the used market. Right now there are 3 used 44s on the Kadey Krogen yachts brokerage site. All below your 750 price target. Might want to give them a look.
John P

Rangers have some loyal owner groups but I wouldn’t get their 41 due to the unprotected and expensive to replace and maintain Volvo dual IPS drives.
With a windfall of cash like that I’d suggest take your time and definitely go to one or two Trawlerfest events to get aboard several different boats before you decide. Also I’m a bit biased:rolleyes: but you could get a new American Tug 435 for about that much, you’d have more interior space and a full keel protected single prop, just sayin’...........

I consider Ranger Tugs ok boats in the smaller sizes, but more designed for glitz than sturdy practicality. Don't know about the 41, but I suspect that in that size they are stretching their market niche, particularly with the IPS drives.

As others have noted, if you like the tug style, Nordic and American Tugs are more proven values.

David

Ranger tugs get their value from customer service. If you want your hand held and some one to plan your next great adventure, then there is a lot of value here. The tugs them selves pack in more features per square foot then most other boats. They do suffer a high depreciation rate as most of their customers seem to be on a 5 year and done plan.

I love IPS drives, I just don’t want to pay the maintenance. IPS drives do a lot more but it requires more moving parts to accomplish this and more moving parts mean more maintenance. This too will add to the depreciation, as IPS units get older the repair bill gets bigger and more certain.

So. If you want the bells and whistles, if you can handle the depreciation, if you are on the 5 and done plan, this is your boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom