Question about 2004 or newer MS 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sue Freeman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
I know on a 2005 Mainship 34 you can lift the stairs to enter the engine compartment. Is there any other access point that gives you more head room so you're not in a cave?
If you have to replace an engine, is it done through the stairs entryway?
Thanks, Sue

If no answer here try the Mainship group on Yahoo.

Sue:

I owned one for several years. The engine room (single) is huge. You can sit on a bucket and work on either side as long as you tilt your head a bit.

The ladder is the only access. If you need to pull the engine you cut a hole in the cabin sole. They did this for better soundproofing.

David

Sue:

I owned one for several years. The engine room (single) is huge. You can sit on a bucket and work on either side as long as you tilt your head a bit.

The ladder is the only access. If you need to pull the engine you cut a hole in the cabin sole. They did this for better soundproofing.

David

This is 100% correct. There no engine smell and very little noise through the deck in the salon. I can get to both sides of my engine quite easily. It helps to have a tool runner if you are working on the port side but with good planning it is quite easy.

There are seams in the Teak floor where it would be cut to remove the engine if need be.

This is not a new or unique to Mainship concept. There are several Hatteras's that cost for or five times what a Mainship does that need the side of the hull removed to get an engine out. All of the LRC's do I believe. A friend on our dock just replaced his fuel tanks on his Tiara and they had to remove a section of deck about five feet by ten feet to do that job.

Not uncommon.

I just bought a 2005 single engine 34' Mainship, and have spent a lot of time in the engine room... at 6'1" there's more than enough room to do what I need to do - no problem with claustrophobia... and outside access to the engine room nicely separates the living area from the tool room.. I do find myself planning on visits to the port side more thoroughly..

Enjoy the lack of diesel smell in the salon...

I just bought a 2005 single engine 34' Mainship, and have spent a lot of time in the engine room... at 6'1" there's more than enough room to do what I need to do - no problem with claustrophobia... and outside access to the engine room nicely separates the living area from the tool room.. I do find myself planning on visits to the port side more thoroughly..

Enjoy the lack of diesel smell in the salon...

One of my winter projects is to build a bridge between the port and starboard stringers so I can crawl across. One in front of the engine and one aft of the gen set. This will make getting across a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom