Pilot 34 ice maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleeping Bear

Veteran Member
Took out the rusty, moldy ice maker under the admiral's seat, anyone found a hatch that will cover the hole?

Rod

Perhaps make it a wine rack

Boatoutfitters.com will custom make a door to fit your needs. No affiliation.

Perhaps make it a wine rack
Our 34HT did not come w the optional ice maker. With the door that cabinet makes a nice bar supply storage. Wish it was closer to the galley counter but that's a reasonable compromise.

Locker door

I think a wine storage is a good idea, I was thinking of a tool cupboard tho.

Problem is not what to do with the space, but what to do for a door. The hole is 14 1/2 inches wide by 19 high. Max width is 15 inch.

A custom made door is going to break the budget, so am looking for an access hatch that size.

Can you cover the area with a piece of starboard or similar material and the install a standard size door/hatch?

Let me make the case for replacing your rusty, moldy ice maker with a new one. This is how we use ours for 2-5 night trips while staying on the hook:

We use ice for soft drinks during the day and cocktails at night. Since we usually stay overnight at the dock before leaving we turn on the ice maker so it will make at least half a load on shore power before we go. Then we start up and go, usually 4 hours to the first anchorage and continue to run the ice maker on the inverter. We don't have a high output alternator but the OEM one on our Pilot 34 pretty well keeps up with the inverter load underway and makes more ice.

Then when we get to the anchorage we turn the inverter off and the ice maker stops making ice. But it keeps it reasonably well but some of it does melt overnight. The next morning we run the genset to recharge the batteries and turn the inverter on for an hour or so. We first dump the water in the ice maker that has melted overnight.

Then when we restart the propulsion engine to go to the next anchorage we turn the inverter back on and make ice for several more hours.

This drill keeps us pretty well supplied with ice. On a longer cruise of 5+ days we usually buy a bag of ice along the way and put it in the ice maker to fill it up again if the on again off again cycle hasn't kept up.

Sure you could buy a bag of ice every other day and keep it in a good ice chest. That might be easier if we were going to places like Block Island or Martha's Vinyard where it is easy to pick up ice on shore, but there is something satisfying about being independent.

I realize that even a new U-Line ice maker doesn't look all that great where it is installed so if you really don't need it a piece of Starboard would make a decent looking door.

David

I don't think starboard is going to pass the ultimate inspection.

Yeah those U Line ice makers are ugly when new, and down hill from there, I was looking for an access hatch just those dimensions, but have not found one yet.

Rod

Try a piece of 3/8" Starboard and then trim it with a white PVC edge strip which should give it a more finished look. Hinges and a positive spring latch with a finger hole to open it should make it look decent.

David

Attachments

• 3A2F1525-7622-4EBC-B017-B21B17C45220.jpg
    3A2F1525-7622-4EBC-B017-B21B17C45220.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom