Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

City: Wellesley Island
Our Intro to "Real Cruising"!

Howdy, I'm new to this site and still exploring. Our home port is Wellesley Island, one of the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River on the New York / Canada border. We have been boating in these waters for several years and wished we could go further and stay longer. Well, as of tomorrow that wish will come true! We are driving to NJ tomorrow to take delivery of a 2000 Mainship Pilot 34. Her name, now anyway, is Kachina. She is a beauty and the surveyor gave her a clean bill of health.

Her shakedown cruise will include heading up the NJ intercostal waterway and then out the Manasquan Inlet into the Atlantic where we will turn North to the New York Harbor. We will then be heading up the Hudson River, through the Federal Lock in Troy, NY and enter the Erie Canal at Waterford. At the junction in Three Rivers we will turn North, again, and proceed into the Oswego Canal for the 24 nm journey to Lake Ontario. After a 42 nm trip across the lake we'll enter our home waters of the St. Lawrence River. All told, we will travel a little over 450nm and pass through 30 locks. Not a bad maiden voyage if I do say so myself. Wish us luck!
Idle Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Safe travels...
Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Good luck. We did VA to MI last year. The Erie is way up this year, watch for debris on the Hudson and on the Erie.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Congratulations! [emoji898]

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Congrats. Now you gotta understand that we have one basic rule on TF. Without pics to prove it, we just take it for granted that it didn't happen.

We all like to see pics of people on their boats, where they boat, and pics of the boat itself.

Cruise safely.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #6

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I did that same trip ten years ago when I bought my boat in New Jersey. have a fun trip and make sure you fuel up at the east end of Oneida Lake before leaving the Canal
Brewertons has the lowest fuel price on the canal.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Safe travels...
Like he said. He always gets in before me, dang it...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Pawleys Island
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Congratulations and welcome aboard! We took delivery of a 34 Pilot last week, but took the easy way out and had it trucked to VA from the Gulf Coast of Alabama. Safe travels.
Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Time View Post
Howdy, I'm new to this site and still exploring. Our home port is Wellesley Island, one of the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River on the New York / Canada border. We have been boating in these waters for several years and wished we could go further and stay longer. Well, as of tomorrow that wish will come true! We are driving to NJ tomorrow to take delivery of a 2000 Mainship Pilot 34. Her name, now anyway, is Kachina. She is a beauty and the surveyor gave her a clean bill of health.

Her shakedown cruise will include heading up the NJ intercostal waterway and then out the Manasquan Inlet into the Atlantic where we will turn North to the New York Harbor. We will then be heading up the Hudson River, through the Federal Lock in Troy, NY and enter the Erie Canal at Waterford. At the junction in Three Rivers we will turn North, again, and proceed into the Oswego Canal for the 24 nm journey to Lake Ontario. After a 42 nm trip across the lake we'll enter our home waters of the St. Lawrence River. All told, we will travel a little over 450nm and pass through 30 locks. Not a bad maiden voyage if I do say so myself. Wish us luck!
Hopefully by the time you reach the Erie all will be well. However, do check with marinas and lockmasters. Yesterday the Notice to Mariners for the Oswego Canal reported that Lake Ontario was five feet above normal so expect a lot of debris. Need to check any marinas to verify docks are available. Now on the Oswego the normal 48 hour limit on mooring on dock walls is waived.

Here is the current list of Erie Canal Notices.

Notices and Alerts - New York State Canals

I do think by the time you reach the area things will be pretty much back to normal.

We took the route you're taking last spring and it should be a wonderful maiden voyage. I do hope you're able to take time along the way to enjoy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We loved the canals and locking. Bring some big fenders and a couple of good boat hooks. We were in a lock and I had the stern secured when the wind gusted up to about 35 and was blowing the bow off the wall. My wife just had a boat hook on the forward cable. It was a telescoping boat hook which immediately extended to full length. It took both of us pulling on the boat hook to get the bow up to the wall so we could secure the bow line to the cable. I was amazed that the boat hook did not come apart under the load.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Where in NJ?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Those are some of the best cruising grounds in the US/Canada. Love going through there!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Welcome to TF.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Where in NJ?
You mean, "What Exit?"?
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #15

So we did it!! We brought her home!! Our trip was spectacular!!! We were more than a little nervous about heading out into the open Atlantic but due diligence paid off and we had a smooth run into NY Harbor. We spent the night at Liberty Landing marina and enjoyed "Safe Arrival" drinks with friends. Our trip up the Hudson River was great. Traveling the Erie and Oswego was slow going due to speed restrictions and high water. Believe it or not, we were chased by and actually outran a small storm cell while crossing Lake Ontario!! Who woulda thunk it!!!

We've been at home almost two months now and are adjusting to the new boat and ALL THAT WONDERFUL NEW SPACE!!!! We are thrilled and excited. We've been busy with boat tours with friends and evening sunset cruises, and cleaning. Good gravy, my wife has turned into a cleaning freak on the boat!! I guess she wants to keep our new baby looking good. [emoji6]

I am practicing and fine tuning my boat handling skills. Making the transition from a gas powered I/O to a diesel powered inboard with a barn door for a rudder was not as difficult as I imagined it would be. I can now back into a slip, doing it comfortably will take more time.

Here are a few pictures from the trip. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7746.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	67036Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7966.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	67037Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7948.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	67038Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7810.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	67039Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7921.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	67040Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7944.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	67041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7863.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	67042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7881.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	67043Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8018.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	67044Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8083.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	67045Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8114.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	67046
Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Glad your trip has all gone so well. So many people find Mainship the perfect boat for the type boating you've just done. Now that you know what it can do and what you can do and how much fun it is, hope that motivates you to many more great trips.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #17

We bought the boat now with the intent to get used to her and fine tune her equipment for a trip around the Great Loop when we retire. Seven more years...sigh. Until then, lots of cruising on the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario.