New windlass for mainship 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
RE my other thread, it looks like I'm in need of a new windlass. I've been happy with my lewmar concept, but lewmar no longer makes them. I've done a bit of research on their site, it's a bit confusing as to which model is a perfect match for the hole pattern of my current windlass, if any.

Has anyone out there blazed this trail with a MS 400 before me?

Thanks

On a different make of boat, but I just replaced a Lewmar Pro 700 with a Maxwell 10-8.
Both were for 5/16 chain, which was BBB, now G4, and 5/8 line, was 3 strand, now New England 8 brait.
As the holes did not align, I made a 12 x 16" piece of 3/4" Starboard as a base plate, bedded and bolted to the deck.
This works great for us, and an added advantage is that the Starboard lets light in through the old (covered) chain hole to let daylight into the chain locker.
The 10-8 is the largest one of Maxwells which is specd for 5/16 chain, with a line pull of almost 1500#, which, as recommended, is more than 3x the weight of our 80# Manson Supreme and 300 ft of 5/16 G4, backed with 150 ft of brait.
The installatoon instructions are adequate in specifiying the size of wire needed for the length of the run.
Good luck, JohnS

RE my other thread, it looks like I'm in need of a new windlass. I've been happy with my lewmar concept, but lewmar no longer makes them. I've done a bit of research on their site, it's a bit confusing as to which model is a perfect match for the hole pattern of my current windlass, if any.

Has anyone out there blazed this trail with a MS 400 before me?

It seems like you have two criteria, of which neither are directly related to the specific make and model of boat. The windlass doesn't care which boat it's bolted to.

1) Windlass to match your anchor rode.

The anchor and rode are sized for the boat. The windlass is sized for the anchor and rode.

2) Windlass which matches the hole pattern of the previous windlass.

The Lewmar V2 with or without Capstan would be an appropriate match. You could also go with a V3. The V1 would more than likely be a little underpowered.

Whether or not the V2 or V3 will match the hole patterns, I couldn't say.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom