Old 04-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
New Induction Stove

I just replaced the existing two burner electric stove top on our Mainship Pilot 34 with a two burner induction stove top. I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fit nicely into the existing space of the old one. I had to lengthen the cutout about 3" and it was a 1/16" too short to cover the existing cutout on the sides, but I ran a bead of caulk on the sides to cover it.

The old burner is attached with a bracket that you remove from underneath after pulling out the fridge. With the bracket removed the burner assembly is only held in place with caulk so push up from below (and use a putty knife to break the seal around the edges) and it will come off.

The existing circuit is 20 amp 12 gauge and would trip the breaker with both burners on high. This one is designed to limit the input current to 15 amps. If one burner is on it can draw 15 but if both are one the power is automatically split between the two to limit it to 15. Wiring was simple- just cut off the plug on the supplied cord and strip it and butt connect it in place of the existing splice, all in an electrical box of course.

Induction is much more efficient at transferring heat to the cookware than the old burners, so 15 amps probably gives more cooking heat than the old 20A one.

We bought a new small pot and skillet to use with the stove top. Those will cover all of our boat cooking needs.

Here is a pic of the unit:

DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Interesting. Please report your thoughts after a few months of use.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I like induction, it is what is the most similar to cooking with propane. You set it warmer or cooler and it respond immediately. The best thing is that the cooking surface does not heat so remains pretty cool and in case of projections on it, it remains easy to clean.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I am still having trouble understanding how to operate one of these. I bought a single burner model that has settings for power in watts and in temperature. Max, I think, is 1800 watts and 450 degrees.

I use it for searing tuna in an iron skillet.

What I don't understand is why you need the watts setting? Couldn't you just set it at 450 degrees if you wanted a hot skillet?
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Interesting. Please report your thoughts after a few months of use.
I have no doubt that I will like how it cooks. We updated our kitchen at home and installed a Bosch induction cooktop about a year ago. It boils a pot of water faster than gas and turns down just as quick. The top never gets really hot so spilled food doesn't bake on like the ceramic ones do.

But the real question is longevity. The Bosch has already had a circuit board replaced under warranty. This unit I bought is Chinese made, but the installation instructions were professionally done, so it gives me hope. Will advise if it craps out. No where near the money of the Bosch thankfully.

David
Old 10-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #6

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
how was your first season with the new induction cooktop?
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

It has worked great. Heats the content of a pot quickly and instantly stops heating when you turn it down unlike a resistance heating element.

David
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #8

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
Sounds like an excellent improvement.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Leamington ON
Vessel Name: Tootles
Vessel Model: Nordic 26
We love our induction cooktop. Needs the gennie but that is an Onan 5KW diesel so we only carry diesel on our little boat. No gas no flames no fumes great. It is quick and very compliant and clean.

Jim
Tootles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use 2 induction singles when it's too warm for the diesel stove. I like them, they use less power than electric and you can get the same temperature you used before. I mostly use cast iron, but have a set of induction ss pots and pans. The temperature control made me a better cook. I have run them off the inverter.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote