New grab rails on Pilot 34 hardtop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackD

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Big Fish
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
Thought I'd share pics of the new grab rails. The previous owner had installed flimsy ones using bimini hardware. Much better now!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20160423_094337.jpg
    ForumRunner_20160423_094337.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20160423_094352.jpg
    ForumRunner_20160423_094352.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 150
That is an essential addition to any Pilot 34. Mine came with a vertical support made of bimini fittings and tubing, installed a little aft of where you mounted your handle, but I added a small grab handle near the M in Mainship on your pic. Makes it much easier/safer to go forward.

David

Last edited:
Much better now!
I love posts like this where members share their upgrades with photos. I do feel, however, that Mark Price is still the champion in this area.:blush:

Isn't it something that almost any design seems to be missing an obvious feature like that? The difference between stepping out of the cockpit with the security of that hand hold must be enormous, especially in a roll.

the bar looks great, and is definitely a safety feature.
what size fasteners and backing plate did you use?
can you show a picture of the back where the fasteners attach (bolted?)?
thanks

Grab rails are great if they are SOLID (don't wiggle when grabbed) and so well anchored there is no chance to fail.

Last edited:
the bar looks great, and is definitely a safety feature.
what size fasteners and backing plate did you use?
can you show a picture of the back where the fasteners attach (bolted?)?
thanks

They came with backing plates, but I really didn't want to look at them from the inside of the hardtop. So my approach was to screw them in and if the grab rail was not solid, then I would drill all the way through and use the backing plates. Turned out that just using screws was fine and SUPER solid. I'm 6' 4", 240 LB and I don't think I could pull them out if I tried. I don't recall the screw size, thinking maybe #10? Very pleased with this upgrade.

thanks, Jack. Where did you buy them?

I was swinging around on my new boat during the survey. each time I went around that corner I mumbled "needs a grab rail like I had on the sailboat"

thanks, Jack. Where did you buy them?

I was swinging around on my new boat during the survey. each time I went around that corner I mumbled "needs a grab rail like I had on the sailboat"

Kato Marine in Annapolis. They may not be the cheapest, but they do terrific work. Here's the specs, price and contact info:

The prices below are with the 3” base and matching SS backing plates.

Handrails – 56” long with 1” rise off deck and 2 attachment points constructed of 1” 14ga T316 stainless steel tubing

1) 3” 7ga. SS bases w/3 countersunk screw holes per base and matching SS backing plates $775.00/pair
Attachment hardware supplied by customer.

These prices are complete but do not include shipping and packaging or sales tax, if picked up at our shop in Annapolis.

Please review at your convenience and contact me directly with any question or concerns.

Thank you for considering Kato to outfit your vessel.

Regards
Len
Kato Marine
Annapolis MD
410 269 1218

Thanks very much! I've heard of Kato.

I got a David setup from them beautiful and they go out of their way to please and make sure you are happy . Quality work and attention to detail

Jim

Railings, grab rails, whatever. Love them when they don't wiggle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom