Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
JD's boat has a self-esteem problem. It's the only 35' slip on a pier of 50' slips. It also seems to attract a lot of Jell-O shots and covered-dish events.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl34Mainship View Post
JD.... it's been 2 years since you took possession of your 34... how's it working out? Any cruises? Any surprises? I just bought a 2005 34 and Hurricane Sandy tested the pilings and tide slides when she passed New Smyrna... no damage, but this was the first storm event - not pretty to see the 34 getting tossed. My Dad's family is from Bridgeton - lots of relatives in Beaufort... we'd like to cruise up that way next Spring... Once I figure out how to post a photo, I'll attach one of "Gone Coastal"

Earl
Funny I just saw your post on the trip home. I was going to comment that we may be down your way in mid January and might need a tour of your boat.

I have found the boat to be well built. I looked at a lot of other boats before buying this one and I'm not unhappy with the boat or it's build quality. Are there better built boats, I guess but at what cost difference. I think that Mainship used the same items in this boat as a Nordhavn or Selene or you name it. The shower sump, the galley sink, the water Faucets, the battery cables the genset ...............and the list goes on.

We love the fly bridge. So do Tom and Bess. I had a cabinet built for the Grille and a built in ice maker. Are there things I do not like or will change on the next boat if there is one? Sure. But the engine room access on our boat is great. We find it lacking on hang up storage or storage period for that matter. I'm thinking that we would have to live aboard full time to learn how to make the best of the space we have. I would vac bag some items. I did a little of repair to the lockers top side I'm good with how dry they stay now. The water used when you wash the upper deck runs through the lockers. I stopped this by making a small plate of starboard that fits into the forward edge of the seat and deck joint on both sides. Problem solved. I installed a backup camera that is real helpful when docking. Easy project.

So when you come up be sure to contact us. We can all get together. Al Ross is up here, Tom and Bess are in the same marina as we are. I'll get the Admiral to do a redo on Jello Shots.

BTW being the smallest boat on the dock is really great.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #23

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
JD... thanks for the reply... as far as we know, we'll be here in Jan... as you pass G17 and approach R18, coming into New Smyrna, you'll see Gone Coastal (GC) at about 11 o'clock. She's docked at the house which makes it convenient to explore. My neighbor had a 39' Mainship and we found a lot to like about his boat... he has a 53 Hattares now... we went to many fests and saw many boats. Flybridge (in FL) was a given; also single diesel; and no more than 34' was a good fit for our needs. We're satisfied with the workmanship - not exactly Grand Banks or Marlow but pricewise, the 34 MS was the trawler of choice. So far, we've only cruised locally - 3~4 hour cruises, once outside but mostly in the ICW. I've done a few things so far; new screens on windows; 2 coats of waterproof on bimini; weeks of oxidation removal and waxing... Now it's time to get into owner maintenance... soon it will be changing transmission fluid, coolant replacement and fuel filter(s) replacment. Oil change for the engine and gen came with the purchase. OK there... Please clue me in if there's anything I should do or not do as I turn wrenches... Would like to have a stern thruster, but am learning to rudder steer - bow thruster a big help and Vicky does OK with line handling while I steer...

We'll certainly let you know when we head north, and see if you can locate us on Google Earth - directly east of G17...

Earl
Earl34Mainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
JD
Guru

Quote:
JD... thanks for the reply... as far as we know, we'll be here in Jan... as you pass G17 and approach R18, coming into New Smyrna, you'll see Gone Coastal (GC) at about 11 o'clock. She's docked at the house which makes it convenient to explore. My neighbor had a 39' Mainship and we found a lot to like about his boat... he has a 53 Hattares now... we went to many fests and saw many boats. Flybridge (in FL) was a given; also single diesel; and no more than 34' was a good fit for our needs. We're satisfied with the workmanship - not exactly Grand Banks or Marlow but pricewise, the 34 MS was the trawler of choice. So far, we've only cruised locally - 3~4 hour cruises, once outside but mostly in the ICW. I've done a few things so far; new screens on windows; 2 coats of waterproof on bimini; weeks of oxidation removal and waxing... Now it's time to get into owner maintenance... soon it will be changing transmission fluid, coolant replacement and fuel filter(s) replacment. Oil change for the engine and gen came with the purchase. OK there... Please clue me in if there's anything I should do or not do as I turn wrenches... Would like to have a stern thruster, but am learning to rudder steer - bow thruster a big help and Vicky does OK with line handling while I steer...

We'll certainly let you know when we head north, and see if you can locate us on Google Earth - directly east of G17...

Earl
We have a stern thruster as well and I love it.

As far as filter changes. I'm going to figure out something for the Engine because it is messy. I may relocate it to a bulkhead but not sure where. The fuel filters are easy. I removed the silly metal shield from my Racor. You can't see into the filter with it on and if there were a fire that would melt the filter where it is located it won't make any difference anyway. The Racor will bleed out the top as long as you have over half of tank of fuel. The main engine filter has a pump right under it so that is easy as well. This engine 6LYA bleeds itself. It has started every time after a change and has never missed a beat. The genset Racor on the stringer is really low and will bleed out easily and the one inside of the sound shield is self priming as you turn the power on and start the electric fuel pump does the job.

If we come to FL in Jan it will be by car not boat. I have a cousin that is having her 70th and she is 11 months older than me so I can't let the opportunity pass without a bit of fan fare so to speak.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #25

Thanks JD... good info from someone who's been there... I'm hoping the oil exchanger will eliminate some of the mess, but the filter is horizontally mounted which means at least half the filter will have oil in it that will have to go somewhere. That'll be a next summer undertaking. Changing the fuel filters doesn't appear to be too complicated - will see and it's good to know that the fuel systems are self priming. The owner's manual makes it sound complicated...

understand about being in FL via car... no problem.. as you get closer, let me know and i'll give you directions...

Earl
Old 11-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
JD
Guru

Earl,

My other thought on the oil filter is to alter the drain tube they have in place. What they have might work if the tube has not being bent in half or more to store it. Then what happens is that the shallow concave place under the filter with the drain backs up and the oils spills all over. I may replace the vinyl tube with a more rigid material and then have a shut off in the end that will contain any residue oil. If I built it correctly I will be able to put a can or bottle under it and drain the concave place under the filter without a mess. If I come up with something that works then I will put it on the MS Yahoo group site.

Maybe we will see you in Jan. We may be able to meet for lunch or something as my wife and I drive either south or North.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #27

Seems like Yanmar or a technician would have come up with a less messy way to change oil.. in my former stern drive, i used a cut off valve at the oil pan drain plug and ran a hose out the transom drain hole... that saved oil in the bilge... if you come up with a less messy idea, i'd sure like to see it...

i have noticed the vinly tube under the oil filter but didn't know that that was for although it has oil residue in it...

And assuming you have 250 hours on your engine, did you have the (1) adjustment on injection pressure and atomizing condition as well as the (2) adjustment of clearance intake and exhaust valve serviced? Under Chapter 4.2 of the Yanmar Operation Manual, that's a scheduled service... my engine is approaching 1000 hours, and that's the next interval for this service... just wondering...

and for sure... hopefully we can have lunch on the upper helm... let me know when you're coming this way..

earl
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #28

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Hi guys
I just saw your post on changing the oil filter. I have the same set up on my 390 and after making a mess my first year, i decided to change the filter the day after my oil change to give the filter time to drain back to the sump. It does not drain all the way, but I slide a trash bag under the filter and then unscrew it. Only a little oil comes out and its pretty easy to clean with a paper towel or two.
John
2003 390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Back in medieval days, when they were made of a sheep's intestines, or whatever, if you didn't wash them, you might end up with more than scratched topsides.
Talk of condoms and sheep intestines should stop,you are exciting the New Zealanders.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Talk of condoms and sheep intestines should stop,you are exciting the New Zealanders.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #31

City: Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Faraway
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
I have a 2008 34 Trawler that I got new in July 2007. Picked her up in Vancouver BC and ran her about 650 miles to Ketchikan AK. Now I have about 1600 hrs on my twin Yanmar 240 HP. We have enjoyed her very much and continue to do so. Wish I had a water maker, but will eventually add one.
myoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #32
JD
Guru

Quote:
Seems like Yanmar or a technician would have come up with a less messy way to change oil..

And assuming you have 250 hours on your engine, did you have the (1) adjustment on injection pressure and atomizing condition as well as the (2) adjustment of clearance intake and exhaust valve serviced? Under Chapter 4.2 of the Yanmar Operation Manual, that's a scheduled service... my engine is approaching 1000 hours, and that's the next interval for this service... just wondering...

and for sure... hopefully we can have lunch on the upper helm... let me know when you're coming this way..

earl
I think the filter is mounted that way to save height. Moving it would be the best but the parts are around $300. I think I can come with a plan. One thing is to save a QT plastic soda bottle. Break the filter loose and slide the bottle up over it. Then get it off as quick as possible. That and redo the vinyl tube are my next steps.

I'm not so sure on the Injector pump but I will do my own valve adjustment. That can't be that hard and they are easy to get to.

We"ll plan on a lunch. I'll stay in touch.

John,

i don't like the waiting for a day because that old oil drains back into the engine and it is hard enough to get it all out betwwn the cooler and the sump. I'm gonna fix this so it works better.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #33

John... you're a wealth of knowledge re Yanmar/Mainship... maybe you have an answer for this.. I changed transmission fluid today - siphoned 5+ qts fluid then went for drain plug - but there's a bolt (dripless/drive to trans) (1 of 6) that's too close to the drain plug to get a socket or wrench on... any suggestions about getting the drain plug out?

Earl