Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The 6 GCs form a single house bank of 660 AH. Each series pair of GCs provide me 12V-220AH. I have 3 of these pairs combined in parallel to form a single bank of 6 GCs providing 12V and 660 AH. I'm not wasting any power and my battery bank is working well.

Imagine this bank shown below with TWO MORE GCs in series-parallel. 3 GCs occupy one 8D box and the other 3 GCs occupy another 8D box. That's my HOUSE bank.

My start battery is a single G31.

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
The 6 GCs form a single house bank of 660 AH. Each series pair of GCs provide me 12V-220AH. I have 3 of these pairs combined in parallel to form a single bank of 6 GCs providing 12V and 660 AH. I'm not wasting any power and my battery bank is working well.

Imagine this bank shown below with TWO MORE GCs in series-parallel. 3 GCs occupy one 8D box and the other 3 GCs occupy another 8D box. That's my HOUSE bank.

That is my House bank as well. 900 ah with Lifeline AGMs.

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Of course!!!!

I was stuck thinking you were maintaining 2 banks rather than 1 larger bank.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #24

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I replaced my single 8D starting battery with a single group 31, and used the extra space for additional GC-2's. Two starting batteries plus generator battery plus house bank does not make sense to me. I'd jump them or charge them from genny if it was ever necessary. I did need to get a beefy starting 31 tho like so some models are only 900CCA ish. YMMV.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #25

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
What type of posts are on GCs? Same as 8Ds or..?

Thinking about the wiring changes I'd need to make.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Two starting batteries plus generator battery plus house bank does not make sense to me. .
I once owned a planing vessel similar in size to the 3870. Space and weight limitations negated the use of lots big batteries. Now, I am on a much bigger non planing boat and a roomy ER. The T105 house, thruster AGMs and 8D start battery systems have worked well (except for the crazy starting cable runs) as delivered new from the factory.

There appears no reason to move away from 8Ds. But if I had a different cruising style with fewer charging hours and spent lots of time on the hook, I'd use the 8D space for more house power like Flywright has done. For the way we cruise now starting redundancy is very high on the battery set up list.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #27
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Yet another option. I went with US Battery 305 AGMs for the house wired in series parallel ala Al.

They are true deep cycle floor polisher batteries, an inch longer than GCs and the same width. Taller than CGs (about 11 inches) but not as tall as L16s. 312 AH per 6-volt pair and--at about 100 lbs each--I can still move them around when I need to (carefully). For the real estate they occupy, they provide a lot of capacity.

My start battery for both engines and genset is a Goup 31 AGM (under the socket set). I can switch to the house bank for backup starting power and a Balmar Duo Charge makes sure the start battery stays topped off.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Here are the weights of the batteries discussed so far:

Group 31 57 lbs

Hmmm.... Our G31s weigh 77.8 lbs.

And I felt every pound of each when I replaced the first bank myself.

-Chris
Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hmmm.... Our G31s weigh 77.8 lbs.

And I felt every pound of each when I replaced the first bank myself.

-Chris

And feeling every pound offered by 8Ds is why I went with East Penn GCs. These are working out well for us and bang for buck, they were less than $85/each from Sam's when purchased.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Just for S&G... I'll add in - Group 31 deep-cycle wet batts. Affordable, powerful, long lasting, easy to handle.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...FQIdaQodY9EAJg

Ours batts [same as on the link] are in their 8th yr... still going strong. I use four of them in parallel for house bank as well as for starting either engine. Have independent group 27 starter batt for gen set and an isolated (in its own separate battery box, always kept full charge) group 27 starter batt; for if per chance emergency arises. I believe in battery redundancy!

I do not recommend multi purpose starter/deep-cycle wet batts. Have experienced too early failure from that type.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I'm the outlier here. My 8 Ds work quite fine and provide good ballast. This is a trawler forum where ballast is not a bad word.

I use three 8Ds, 2 for engine starts and 1 for genset. and am quite happy with them. There is an already setup space for each and every five years the local yard spends about an hour lifting the main engine starts in and out. The first genset went 8 years with no problem.

Get some prices, question the crowd advice and make your own decision. 8Ds can be very cheap. Sticking with what works has no downside unless you insist on being the strong back rather than using a young buck.
Thanks for saying what I was thinking!

Not a darn thing wrong with using 8d's as starting batteries.

Both of my diesel pickups, and my Excursion (one Cummins, two Navistar) came factory stock with 2 group 31's as start batteries I believe. My boat came factory stock with one 8D for each engine, and a Group 31 for the generator.

Of course you can get by with a smaller battery much of the time. But if the day comes when you are out on the water and really need that 8D's cranking power, you'll be glad you have it.

For a house bank, it's a different story. We use L16's because we have the height to handle them. For smaller installations GC or T105's work great.
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #32
Obx
Veteran Member

City: Outer banks NC
I just bought 2 grp 31 batteries this Friday from West Marine regularly $331.00 a pc but on sale for $255 ea and I had a 15% discount coupon, I used them to replace a GRP 8D
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
What type of posts are on GCs? Same as 8Ds or..?

Thinking about the wiring changes I'd need to make.
Same as the threaded posts on Angus' uber-house bank. I now see that his batts have both post types.

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #34
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Yet another option. I went with US Battery 305 AGMs for the house wired in series parallel ala Al.

They are true deep cycle floor polisher batteries, an inch longer than GCs and the same width. Taller than CGs (about 11 inches) but not as tall as L16s. 312 AH per 6-volt pair and--at about 100 lbs each--I can still move them around when I need to (carefully). For the real estate they occupy, they provide a lot of capacity.

My start battery for both engines and genset is a Goup 31 AGM (under the socket set). I can switch to the house bank for backup starting power and a Balmar Duo Charge makes sure the start battery stays topped off.

Nice looking install but I don't see where your actually have the bank connected to your boat? Where do you have your fuse installed?

I am going to have to look at replacing my sealed LA batteries that are used for my house bank and thruster bank at some point. They are the original Chinese made 8D batteries installed back in 2010.

I like not having to water the batteries but am not sure I want to invest in AGMs when the time comes. Not to mention man-handling the old batteries out and the ones in.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

Question--- Your bank is just beautiful! But do you have it fused and if not are you concerned? I clearly remember an experience on anchor running my genny with Freedom 2000 that blew up in my boat when I switched batteries while under charge.

I was lucky to switch off the flaming Freedom from the batteries before I had a real inferno. Since then, I have all my battery banks fused.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I like not having to water the batteries but am not sure I want to invest in AGMs when the time comes.
Pick up a battery watering sysem. Quite a few varieties available, and make the job simple to top all cells in a multi battery bank. My 4 GC's were in such a tight spot I had to go with this. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Pick up a battery watering sysem. Quite a few varieties available, and make the job simple to top all cells in a multi battery bank. My 4 GC's were in such a tight spot I had to go with this. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
Yes, good idea. I went with the GC batteries in my sailboat and it worked great. Fortunately, it was very easy access to add water. My house and thruster batteries are in the aft lazarette. There is no way to easily access the top of them to check water. A system such as that could solve that problem.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #38
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Question--- Your bank is just beautiful! But do you have it fused and if not are you concerned? I clearly remember an experience on anchor running my genny with Freedom 2000 that blew up in my boat when I switched batteries while under charge.

I was lucky to switch off the flaming Freedom from the batteries before I had a real inferno. Since then, I have all my battery banks fused.
Sorry, I just came across your and Dave's good questions. Those were "under construction" shots with lots of temporary fitting. Sadly, I don't have any pix yet of the bank in its final state. This is a slightly newer one with hold-downs installed and still lots of mess.

And this shows the fusing (again, in progress as most of the fuse blocks are empty). In its final state, a short 4/0 positive cable connects the bank to the Blue Sea remote battery switch and then to the positive bus and fuses.

It was a very happy day when I put current on the redesigned system (which also includes a Charles ISOBoost transformer, the Magnum inverter charger pictured, new panel breakers etc, etc) and everything worked!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #39
Guru

I have one 8D which almost never needs topping up and another(Yuasa Century) which needs regular topping up. Very different caps, the first has screw caps with ? recirculating compartment suggesting some design to it, the latter has simple rubber push on caps.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #40
Guru

Great job Angus! An accomplishment to be proud of!!!