Need some 34 Mainship I advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djpat

Vessel Make
20' hydrasport
Hi there all,
You folks are the experts so I'd like to see if you have any advice, input, criticism? This is our first large boat. My wife and I are looking at a mainship 34 that has been repowered about 5 years ago with a then new mpi captains choice crusader 8.1. It was out of the crate brand new then. The fuel numbers he gave me were pretty good. Thoughts on this motor? I know they typically came with the ole Perkins 160 or 200's.
The boat itself is supposed to be in good shape. He told me there is one spot on the cockpit the has a soft spot on the deck, about 1'x1.5'. No blisters on hull. Flybridge is supposed to be solid.
I know these boats had pretty strong following and still do. Are there many of you that have redone the interior of these boats? If so do you all have any pictures you'd like to share.

I have not seen the boat yet, just want to get some preliminary thoughts... Thank you all in advance!

I wouldn't consider one powered with gas even if the fuel numbers looked good. This boat was not designed to be powered by a gasoline or Ethanol powered motor. It might very well not have ignition protected components in many of the systems since every one that Mainship built was diesel powered.
Bill

There are good logical arguments in favour of gas-powered trawlers. I just can't escape my prejudice against being in close proximity to several hundred gallons of gasoline, unless I happen to be at a gas station. Wave this particular Mainship goodbye and look for a diesel powered boat.

Are you sure about that Billy as I've seen a lot of early Mainship 34's that are gas powered? They can't all be re powered from diesel as that wouldn't make any financial sense IMO.

Greetings,
Mr. CP. I concur. I think Mr. B is in error. Mr. D. I see no problem with gasoline power IF one is careful and being gas instead of the "preferred" diesel should reflect a very reasonable price. There are tens of thousands of gas powered vessels worldwide.

There was a crusader 454 in it before. The generator is also gas obviously. The systems have all been changed. It has been a gas converted boat for the last 20 plus years.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. I appreciate the comments.

I know lots of guys who are die hard diesel. Especially at this size boat. Maybe explaining our usage would help.
We are strictly costal cruising probably 5-10 miles around where will be planing to keep the boat. Sleeping at the marina and plugged into shore power. If I had to choose and could afford, yes I would put in a diesel. However this is a fairly new gas motor that should provide plenty of torque to move this boat at low rpms....

Thanks

DJ, I'd get a survey before laying down my cash but would say finding a Mainship 34 without a single soft spot would be as rare as hen teeth. Unless a previous owner corrected them already.

Like RT said, gas powered boats are typically less expensive than diesel and do cost less to run until you get to the elusive 200+ hour per year number. Judging by the boats in my marina, including my own, 200+ hours per year is the exception and not the norm. Full time cruisers excepted.

Edit: Just saw your above post and your usage almost perfectly mirrors ours. Our carefully maintained gasser serves us well.

Last edited:
Cp thanks for your comments,
The price is in our budget and yes I will get a survey. The owner has owned the boat for the las 10-12 yrs. the has been very forth coming with the details of any of the issues boat. The cock pit deck area was repaired by him to seal the top side. What happened was during the installation of the new motor, it was set on the cock pit deck on top of some 4x4 that apparently weren't large enough. That is where the damage came from. Then he reglassed and textured the topside.

Have any of you folks seen in remodeled insides of the mainship I. I would like to see how they could possibly look.
I know that the fresh water tank is a 50 gallon. Not sure if it is on the small side or not. Gas tanks are around 250 gallons I believe.

Last edited:
No we would not come close to 200 hours. Both the wife and I work full time and run a business. I wish though! My kids are young and home schooled ...so maybe I'll just quit work

Hadn't ever heard that Mainship built any gas powered early 34s. Our Mark III was a DD 8.2 diesel. The 36s had gas engines, as far as I know...

-Chris

For what I understood from owner was that the previous guy repowered it from the 160 Perkins to a 454 crusader back in early 90's then in 2010 current owner bought the crate motor it currently has. The 8.1 mpi captains choice crusader.

For what I understood from owner was that the previous guy repowered it from the 160 Perkins to a 454 crusader back in early 90's then in 2010 current owner bought the crate motor it currently has. The 8.1 mpi captains choice crusader.

For the usual 200-300 hours a year the Crusaider would be far better than most any diesel, in operating and maint costs.

Interesting evolution. Presumably would have had to replace the diesel genset with a gas one, too... even if the genny was working fine at the time. Fuel tanks replaced, too? (Dunno if that would have been necessary or not...)

-Chris

Run, run, run. That boat will require fuel tank repair, recore or stop rot of most of bridge, same for cockpit, likely some deck issues. Gasoline in 30 year old tanks that are gonna leak (when?) and in the same compartment as the engine??? Braver than me. I have a 34 1982 that I restored, did it right. Had new Cummins and new genset when I bought it. Thought everything else would be small potatoes. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. once you hit the domino it is hard to quit spending. I am losing over $.50 on the dollar. Look on yachtworld for 34 in Fort Pierce. Spend more, let some fool like me take the hit.

Hadn't ever heard that Mainship built any gas powered early 34s. Our Mark III was a DD 8.2 diesel. The 36s had gas engines, as far as I know...

-Chris

As far as I know there was 1 or maybe 2 that were big block Chevy gas from the factory.
The rest were mostly Perkins 160s intil 1980 then they went to the Range 4 series Perkins at 165, then eventually to the 200 Perk.
Add to that maybe a couple had the international V-8 diesel.
The DD 8.2 came in around 1985/86

Gas engine would not scare me away, have owned the gamit and the upside of a gas inboard is relatively low maint costs. Like others have said, if there is one soft spot there might be more.

I wasn't aware of any factory gasoline powered Mainship 34 Mark I through III's.
In fact until recently I wasn't aware of any gas refits either.
The 36' DC had plenty of dual gas power plants compared with the dual diesel version. The 40DC came in about 50/50 gas vs. diesels but they are rare.
The 40 Sedan Bridge had about an 80/20 mix, the minority being diesel powered.
I think part of the allure of the 34 Mark models is fairly basic diesels and a cross between a true trawler and a semi displacement hull. Either way this boat powered in diesel or gas would be faster than my Gulfstar a true displacement trawler.
Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom