Need Info on 34 Mainship Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pattyshades

Vessel Name
LADY MARILYN
Vessel Make
34 MAINSHIP
Hi. this is my first time on this or any other site. I have a few questions about a 34 2005 Main Ship Trawler. I am in the process of making an offer on one. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this boat. Is it top heavy, how does it handle in a following sea, are the decks soft, etc. Thank you.

Welcome aboard! I am sure some 34 owners will be along shortly to give you some words of wisdom. Otherwise, do a search and see what pops up.

There is also a Mainship owners section Marlow - Mainship - Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Pattyshades

We have owned a 2004 Mainship 34 for a year and it has been an excellent boat. We have not been in heavy seas so I can't answer those questions. We have found no soft decks or leaks in the boat, the bilge stays dry. Our boating is done mostly on the Tennessee River and we have a covered slip which might help prevent some problems. Get a good survey and enjoy your new boat.

Ray

MS 34 Pros & Cons

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this boat. Is it top heavy, how does it handle in a following sea, are the decks soft, etc. Thank you.

Pattyshades...
We are in our third season... and love our 34 HT.
Handling is a minor problem for us... Have noticed some issue w following seas but boating inland this is minor for us... Also we are a hardtop so no bridge to accentuate the movement.
Soft decks are an individual boat issue... I believe most of the MS deck issues are w the older ones. A good survey should identify deck issues and the extent.
I don't think many manufacturers do what is recommended as best practice when mounting hdwre on cored decks. You might consider reworking mountings over time as a preventive measure.. Lots of good How To info out there on how to do this.

Things we like...
Great 2 person boat
Wide &safe walk around
Head & separate shower
Covered decks... Especially aft
Open light salon... Great ventilation
Handling a dream... Single w bow &stern thrusters
Engine rm space & access

Things we don't like
I did lots of work in closets & cabinets to make space more useable
Sleeper couch... thinking about swapping for 2 recliner chairs
No shelf in fwd cabin near bed - I added 2 this yr and they are handy

I've been working on a website...take a look at Bacchus Website if you are interested in any of the projects we've done.
Good luck...let me know if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Here ha go. 10 or more years of owners of Mainships comments. Use the search feature.
I owned a 1982 34, an unimproved version of your boat lust. I would say the most annoying aspect of the design is too small a rudder mounted too far forward. Had I kept her enlarging the rudder was in the cards. Even then a bow or stern thruster is almost a necessity.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups...Ec2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxNDM1NjU2NzQ5

I owned a 2006 single engine 34T for several years. My thoughts:

Perfect layout for a couple, but not so great for more.
Huge salon and fly bridge due to wide beam
Storage and fridge is limited for long term cruising
Handles poorly in a stern sea, ok with a gyro autopilot
Small rudder and windage makes handling around docks difficult
Cruises nicely at 12kts with single Yanmar, a couple of kts more with twins
Engine room access is great with a single, ok with twins

David

pattyshades

Pattyshades

We have owned a 2004 Mainship 34 for a year and it has been an excellent boat. We have not been in heavy seas so I can't answer those questions. We have found no soft decks or leaks in the boat, the bilge stays dry. Our boating is done mostly on the Tennessee River and we have a covered slip which might help prevent some problems. Get a good survey and enjoy your new boat.

Ray
Thank you your feedback is very helpfu.l

We have a 2003 390. Similar boats with similar built and quality. Soft decks are not an issue with the later built boats. Any time you heard those complaints they were from the MS I-II-III from the 70's and 80's. they don't like following seas but it is manageable with a good auto pilot. the 34 looks a little top heavy when compared to a 390 but i dont think they are and the fly bridge on the 34 is nicely thought out. when things get really rough I use the lower station.
I'm not sure about the engine access through the steps. seems like it might be confining but i have never tried it. I have to move a table to get access. If you have a single engine (as I have), a bow thruster is mandatory as the rudder is small.
Just before Mainship closed their doors they changed the model from 34 to 395. they added a second stateroom like the 390 and changed how they took their measurements. overall a really good boat. you get a lot for the money.
John
2003 MS390

My centerline forward opening salon window has developed a leak do to compressed gasket. The boat is a 2004 40ft but I would think the opening window may be common. Do any of you know who made this window as there is no name or numbers on it at all.Am looking for suggestions. Thanks

My centerline forward opening salon window has developed a leak do to compressed gasket. The boat is a 2004 40ft but I would think the opening window may be common. Do any of you know who made this window as there is no name or numbers on it at all.Am looking for suggestions. Thanks

Call Marlow Mainship. I used to own a Mainship and the old Mainship company was very good about keeping records of vendors and how to contact them. Hopefully Mainship passed those contacts along to Marlow.

My Do any of you know who made this window as there is no name or numbers on it at all.Am looking for suggestions. Thanks

bravo
Our 2008 MS uses Bomar portlights - SS Flagship Model - take a look and see if they look similar.
I found the Mfg name on the plastic locking tab... use measurements to confirm model # if they are similar.
Bomar Catalog

Marlow knows virtually nothing about older Mainships that are not current Marlow production models. The Yahoo Mainship site is a good source of info.

David

Pattyshades,

I just bought a 34 Mainship Pilothouse 2005 model a couple of months ago. Mine has the two 240 HP Yanmars. Have only been on it for 3 cruises so far. Overall, I am in love with the boat. The Marlow reputation for quality is evident throughout.

I generally cruise at 17-18 kts burning around 16 gallons per hour.

The reason I looked at this model was I felt it was the smallest "real" boat that I could comfortably cruise long distances, the air conditioned pilothouse makes it a pleasure to boat in the summer in South Florida, and the small size and layout of the boat makes it really easy to single hand.

In the past I have owned a 1968 33 ft Chris Craft, a 41 ft. pT41 Trawler, and a 32 ft. 2002 Regal. The Mainship far exceeds the quality of all of these boats.

If you would like to talk details, etc. send me a PM with your phone number.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom