MS Pilot 34' Modify Keel & Add Lip to Tunnel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammy999

This is related to my post on excessive vibration. When removing the shaft to replace the cutlass bearing, the boat yard noticed that the shaft did not line up with the hole in the rudder that enabled removing the shaft without dropping the rudder. There was also a 12" circle of different colored gel coat in the engine compartment above about where the end of the skeg would be, indicating some sort of repair. No one brought this up at time of survey ( I should have in hindsight). In checking the PO's repair receipts, I found a line item that read 'modify keel and add lip to tunnel'. The cost was about $1000. Any idea on why they would want to make this modification? What condition were they hoping to fix? Is this a common modification on MS Pilot single engined boats? Thanks for any insights. Sammy

That circle of different gel coat may have been caused by the PO beefing up that area with more layers of glass to help dampen out the cavitation vibration. Some Pilot 34 owners say that they can feel/hear vibration in that area underway. Can't think of any other reason why he would do it there.

The description "modify keel and add lip to tunnel" sounds like an attempt to fair the keel before the prop to reduce vibration/cavitation. But why that would result in a circle inside is a mystery. Could you see any modifications to the keel when the boat was hauled?

David

Back
Top Bottom