Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
Water Gauge issue - Mainship pilot 30"

Have a question in reference to a non-functioning water gauge. 2006 Mainship Pilot. I filled the tank and the gauge reads empty. Do I start at the sending unit on the tank and ground out the unit? It's a WEMA gauge. Figured I'd ask first in case someone with the same problem could save me some time before I satrt taking things apart.
Thanks in advance.
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Frequently Asked Questions - WEMA USA, Inc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Yep, if you do their resistance test, it can be relatively painless to discover what the problem is. Although in our case (sister brand to your Mainship), there's also an in-line fuse on the senders. 1 amp, I think... or maybe 3.

OTOH, if it's the sensor... WEMA used to use plastic sensors for freshwater and holding tanks. They apparently crapped out fairly regularly. For example, ours were both non-functioning when we got the boat, only after 3 years in service.

The new sensors are stainless, and assuming you have access, the swap is relatively easy. Even for the holding tank, in our case, although some serious flush/rinse/pump/repeat action is recommended first.

BTW, if it turns out to be the gauge itself... although that might be unlikely... I'd probably recommend to replace the display with a CruzPro digital tank gauge... which should work with the WEMA sensor.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

George,
Thanks for the web page.

Chris,
Was the in line fuse close to the sending unit? I'll look at this next time I go down to the boat. I can't see much of the tank. I'm hoping I don't need to take the entire tank out if the sending unit is the issue? Not much room for fat guys.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Our water monitor and holding tank monitor fuses are blade type, located behind the swing-out main electrical distribution panel. I just confirmed they're 3-amp fuses. Other fuses back in there are for the CO monitors, the DC stereo (bridge), the Oil X-Changer, etc. Mainship may have done it similarly...

At the tank, all you need to access is the top of the sensor, assuming it's like ours. You can do the electrical tests right there, and if you need to replace the internal probe, it's not a difficult swap.

It happens our tank is under the guest berth, so it's out with the mattress, lift the plywood hatch, E Voila!

-Chris
Old 05-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Thanks Chris,
I will check it out.