Old 05-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

City: Deale
Vessel Name: Yinzer
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Mainship Sump pump wiring

My sump pump quit working AFTER I changed out a battery (1 of 6). Question; does each bilge (total 3)/sump pump have its own wire to the battery on a Mainship or are they joined at some point? I'm thinking that I am missing a wire but do not see any "loose ends.
rvolkwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr./Ms. v. Welcome aboard if I've missed you. Can't comment on your wiring but even if your boat is brand new, the way it's wired may not be exactly the same as the one next to it on the assembly line. If your boat is used, all bets are off as some previous owners have been known to practice "creative wiring" to be polite.
This is a PERFECT time to get a bit more intimate with your water mistress and do some wire tracing and labeling. Also a good time to draw up a wiring schematic.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Not sure what model or yr but my '08 34HT has separate breakers in the cockpit panel w batty switches....fwd mid aft & emergency hi water. These are fed directly from separate house\start battys.
Also 3 man / auto sw in the saloon 12V panel.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #4

City: Deale
Vessel Name: Yinzer
Sump pump problems

My boat is an '03 390 single Yanmar. I'd like to know if each bilge/sump pump has it's own "hot" wire to the batteries or if they are consolidated. I currently see only 2 16 gauge wires wired directly to the battery. I am wondering if I should have 4 wires.
rvolkwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The bilge pumps should be wired to be powered on even if the battery switches are off. They should have breakers in case of an overload. You don't want then to be accidentally turned off. They should also have on, off and auto positions. As mentioned you need to trace out the wiring and see how exactly your boat is wired. It may be correctly wired or may not be. My boat was wired very poorly when I bought it and still needs lots of work on the wiring.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

City: Michigan
On our 2000 390, there is a black box about 4 inches square next to the battery switch in the lazarette. There are two twist and lock fuses and a red breaker mounted on (in) the box, these are hot all of the time no matter the battery switch position and feed the 3 bilge pumps. The shower sump is always on when the main DC panel is energized and is at the bottom of the DC row on the breaker panel and there is no switch to turn it off, if the panel is energized, the sump is on. Hope this helps!
Noahstvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
we have a 2003 390. The shower sump has its own breaker on the DC panel by the door. The bilge pumps each have their own breaker in the panel near the sofa. These are those strange breakers that are not made to be turned on and off manually, although they can be if you work at it. I never took the panel cover off to see how many hot wires feed the breakers.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #8

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
Electrical systems are always "interesting".
Subscribed!
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote