Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Redington Shores
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
MS 34 Trawler speed & fuel burn

Hello all,

My wife and I have an accepted offer in on a 2006 MS 34. Its in MD and if we close the deal, I plan to drive it back. It will be a large run from MD to the Florida west coast (near St Petersburg).

This trip obviously requires some planning, and I'd like to start with realistic cruise speeds and burn rates. The boat is a single Yanmar 370hp. I've seen speeds and burns that are all over the map, hence I'm asking this question again. Can I do prolonged runs above hull speed without breaking the bank on fuel consumption. My past experience is with sailboats that never ran over the hull speed, so things are a bit more complicated now.

Not to be rude, but I'm looking for persons with hands-on experience/results for an equivalent sister-ship; please no speculation.

Big thanks in advance,
David
daviddraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I used to own the same boat and engine. It would do 12 kts at 2,900 and would burn about 12 gph. At that speed it was barely planing.

Here is a page from the old Mainship website that gives Yanmar supplied data. It is about 10% on the optimistic side. You have to start at this opening page, click on fuel economy on the left, then Yanmar, then go to the second page which gives the 34T data: https://web.archive.org/web/20070814...com/index.html

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Listen to David - he got it exactly right. While no two boats are exactly the same the 10% fudge factor covers that well.

Here is the Mainship data he referred to:
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.png  
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
I have the a 34T with Yanmar 380 single...with boat propped to get 100 rpm over the max...we cruise at 2,700 rpm giving us 9.3kts and 8.9 Gal/hr. Just completed the snowbird CT to FL trip and its amazing how accurate the Gal/hr were at each fill up. Boats also full loaded, bikes, paddle boards, 15hp dink engine etc.

Cheers

Bryan
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Brian:

Running that boat at 9+ kts, you are definitely not planing. As a result, you are pushing a lot of water and loading the engine heavily. I would slow down to 7+ kts or speed up to 12 kts even if you have to run at 3,000 rpm to get there. If you can't get to 12 kts, at 3,000 then just slow down and smell the roses at 7 kts.

It sounds like your boat more heavily loaded than mine was. As I note above, 12 kts is barely planing (well as much as any SD hull ever planes) and if you can't get to that speed at reasonable rpms, then slow down to 7 kts.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
When not in the "delivery mode" and the admiral, dogs etc. are on board we run at 2,500. But at 2,700 and 9.3kts. The instruments show throttle at 70% and engine load of 49%. To run on a plane it needs to run 3,200 to get up...trim tabs and then throttle back to 3,100 that lets it hang on a plane and does 12 kts. Only done that two or three times to make a bridge...just don't like running it that hard.

Cheers

Bryan
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote