Mainship Pilot 30 II noise at high speeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcrowner

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30II
Looking for other Pilot 30 II owner's input here:
I have read threads describing the Pilot 30 II as noisy at high speed. One post described it as not engine noise as much as a harmonic from vibration.
My observation is above 15kts it sounds like a rattle somewhere aft of the engine, do all P 30 II owners hear this?
If not, I suspect it might be the rudder or strut to the rudder.

I think you should be able to see rudder flutter from inside. Is there any looseness in the rudder to steering gear?

Some boats benefit from four blade props.

This is something that was corrected with 2003 models and on. Reconfigured hull, prop tunnel and 5 blade wheel solved the problem to my understanding. I run a 2003 with no issues.

regards Holty

This is something that was corrected with 2003 models and on. Reconfigured hull, prop tunnel and 5 blade wheel solved the problem to my understanding. I run a 2003 with no issues.

regards Holty

Thanks, ours is the 2003 with same configuration. I can only assume the strut/rudder is loose somehow

If your cutlass is good I would pull the wheel and have it checked. Doubt it would be the shaft as it is protected very well by the sand shoe and strut.

regards Holty

Mine (5-blades 22X22 diam/pitch) sounds like a box of rocks aft whenever I hit about 1400 RPM due to the too-close clearance of the prop tips and the hull in the tunnel, but at 2900-3000 RPM where I like to run the boat, the roar of the engine/exhaust is a steady roar - no noticed "rattle." Looseness of the rudder would be something that you would notice by grabbing it to see if it moves at all. Props can also be loose. Jump over the side and grab everything to see it it wiggles - tabs. strut, shaft, prop, and rudder. If it all feels stout, maybe it is cavitation. What do you know about the maintenance history of your prop?

It may be a prop clearance issue. What is the distance from the tip of the blade to the hull at the closest point? It should be 15% of the diameter of the prop if I remember correctly. I agree that you should check how the is installed. Steve D has a great how to on installing a prop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom