Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: South Florida
All the factory colored hulls on Mainships were Awlgrip (Awlcraft)
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #22

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Hey, Thanks keysdisease, isn't that preferred over colored gelcoat?
perse111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #23

City: PORT CHARLOTTE
Vessel Name: ANDANTE'
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30...1998
Yes, it has Awlgrip. I personally have never noticed much of a difference in cabin temps with the blue hull. I had a white hulled sailboat for 15 years, and this blue hulled one for over a year now, and even in our heat here in FL, never had a temp problem down below.
Which part of Maryland you looking at for that boat???
I almost bought my boat from over on FL East coast, as it seems like there were alot over there. It would have been an easy shakedown cruise to bring it home!
ALAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #24

There is a 30 in Rock Hall, Maryland I like the looks of on YachtWorld. Also one in Ft Lauderdale - White hull with a Cummins. Does your boat have a Yanmar?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #25

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
I have a Pilot 30 with the 315 hp. I came into it from the opposite direction from you -- moved from full planing "speedboat" gasser to this "semi-planing" diesel-- so I opted for the higher horsepower boat so I didn't have to sacrifice as much on speed. The boat is still new to me and I've only run it a few times so far, but it appears that it will cruise slightly north of 20 kts, which is entirely satisfactory but still feels slow to me .

All things being equal (except maybe full consumption), I'd go for the 315 hp boat. I looked at one with the 240 hp engine and was also concerned about performance. But, I was fortunate enough to find one with the 315 hp which was priced lower, so it was an easy decision.

I agree with Baker, for the most part. I expect we'll use our boat mostly for 2-3 day weekend trips -- maybe a rare week-long trip. I think anything more than that would really test our marriage. But, I wouldn't call it a "day boat."

I also looked at an Albin 31. While it's not as sexy as the Pilot (IMO), the wife and I really loved the layout and it seemed much roomier. We wanted to buy the Albin, but some serious questions about the engine in the boat we looked at scared me away.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #26

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
I have owned three boats with blue hulls. I love the looks, but keeping it clean is a pain. The blue color spots easily, a water softener helps a little. A colored gelcoat hull will fade quicker and require more waxing/polishing than a painted hull. I haven't really noticed that the boat gets hotter, but I expect it probably does.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #27
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post

I agree with Baker, for the most part. I expect we'll use our boat mostly for 2-3 day weekend trips -- maybe a rare week-long trip. I think anything more than that would really test our marriage. But, I wouldn't call it a "day boat."
Not necessarily a Day Boat but about the most affordable efficient day boat out there!!! It is an excellent day boat...

I guess my point is that you generally are not going to go down below just to hang out. You go down below to do something. Once it is done, you come back up. There is no real "hanging out" space....especially with the Pilot2 layout.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #28

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
I don't know... I have a TV down below. If there's a good game on or I have some good DVDs, I can see spending a few hours at a time down there (by myself)!

And, yes, it's a most excellent day boat.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #29
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
I don't know... I have a TV down below. If there's a good game on or I have some good DVDs, I can see spending a few hours at a time down there (by myself)!

And, yes, it's a most excellent day boat.
I have seriously considered keeping my current boat and getting a Pilot 30 for a day boat!!!.....and then common sense got the better of me.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #30

Yanmar in my boat. I have friends that live in Rock hall, so if you need any pics taken, let me know and I will have it done for you.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #31

that would be great if someone local could "preview" boat before I make trip up there. It is brokered by S&J Yachts, 7076 Bembe Beach rd, Rock Hall. It is a 2000 with Dark Blue hull with Red and Gold boot strip. It would be great to have some good photos of hull and interior. The engine compartment looks like there is some work to do in there. Some hoses must be replaced immediately. Thanks Alan. Let me know if you can workl that out.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by perse111 View Post
Is your hull Awlgrip? Friends are trying to talk me out of dark hull. They say the color attracts/holds more heat and makes cabin hotter. There is a dark blue hull 30 in maryland i would like to go see.
My hull is dark green. Deck is dark gray. Cabin sides and saloon roof are white. Pilothouse roof is high-visibilty yellow. Forward cabin roof is straw-colored (easy on the eyes). In direct sunlight, white is the coolest while green and gray are the warmest. Nevertheless, note no/little impact for the interior since the interior is well-insulated.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #33

Flatsflyer
I am also considering a pilot 30, how did yours handle the Atlantic Ocean on your trip from St Augustine to Key West? Would you feel comfortable crossing the Gulf Stream to cruise the Bahamas for a few days in the Pilot 30? Has an one crossed the gulf stream to the Bahamas that can give me insight as to the handling of the boat and with what engine? I do my boatin in SE Florida to Key West.
pisern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #34
Guru

The closest crossing from Florida to the Bahamas is from the Miami Sea buoy to the entrance to Bimini Harbor, less than 50 miles. In the summer with an early start this is typically a non weather event easy crossing and in a Pilot we're talking lunch in Bimini. In the winter you would just have to pick your day carefully but you only need a 5-6 hour window to cross in a Pilot. Buy a Cruising Guide to the Bahamas, worth every penny.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #35

I will have my friend go over there this weekend and check it out and send pics.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #36
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
perse111,

I bought a Mainship 34 Pilot with two 240 hp Yanmars a couple of months ago. Boat was in Punta Gorda. Now in Cape Coral.

So far, I love her. Boat's best cruise is 16-17 kts and I get about 1.1 to 1.2 nautical miles per gallon at that point. Exactly what I was looking for.

djmarchands comments were very helpful when I was looking at these boats. His comment abouve about limited space outboard of the twin engines is appropriate, but my engine guy is small and told me access was not a problem for him before I bought the boat. Access to all fluid levels is on the centerline between the engines, so the basic pre cruise checks are no problem.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:

Any regrets with the dark blue hull? They are certainly beautiful.....
I agree w/ the other comments re: blue hulls.
I originally thought paint was inferior to gelcoat but I have changed my opinion.
All of the later model Mainships (and possibly all but I'm not positive) were done w/ Awlcraft (Awlgrip product but slightly different chemistry & workability than the Awlgrip finish).

The blue does show water spots but it is not hard to wash / rinse them and a little vinegar in a spray bottle helps.
If you do go w/ painted - search & read the posts and Awlgrip website on care recommendations. There is a lot of good info and it is readily available...

I have done a few touch ups w/ an airbrush and really pleased w/ the results.
With the help of a friends we just finished a fiberglass repair & paint touch-up. I am very pleased w/ the ability to patch & match the paint - color match was excellent and the Awlcraft was easy to work with. I have a slight haze that needs to be fine sanded & rubbed out after full curing but it is barely noticeable as sprayed.
IMO - I don't think a professional could do as good a patch / match job w/ aged gelcoat and I wouldn't attempt it as an amateur.

I wouldn't avoid a painted hull boat and if you like the looks (which I also do) I'd recommend it vs gelcoat.

If you go painted search & read the posts & Awlgrip website re: care of painted hulls it is different than gelcoat.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #38

Thanks Alan, Really appreciate it.

Hey ljk, Looks like we have a lot SW Floridians in mainships. I didn't really notice too much when I was sailing. hope to see ya around.

Bacchus, Thanks for the info on dark hulls. puts my mind at ease because I really prefer them - even on sailboats.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The blue does show water spots but it is not hard to wash / rinse them and a little vinegar in a spray bottle helps.gelcoat.
A deionized water bottle by your dock box solves all the water spot problems on a dark hull. Just rinse off after a cruise and go home. You don't even have to towel it dry. It works just like Jet Dry in your dish washer. In my area they rent for $18.75/month.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3861.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Hey ljk, Looks like we have a lot SW Floridians in mainships. I didn't really notice too much when I was sailing. hope to see ya around.
There is/was an informal Mainship group in SW Florida that get together occasionally. Join the Yahoo Mainship group and search around a little or post a question. They would raft up in Pelican Bay or Captiva from time to time.