Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #41
ljk

City: Cape Coral and Marathon FL
Vessel Name: Chardonnay
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot
Keysdisease,

I am on the Yahoo Mainship group, don't find it nearly as useful as this forum. But will post something there and see what happens.

ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #42

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Phoenix
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30II
I'm new to the forum and have interest in your experience with the Pilot 30 II. How do I access your posts Baker?

gregcrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcrowner View Post
I'm new to the forum and have interest in your experience with the Pilot 30 II. How do I access your posts Baker?
The only thing I can think of is click on my profile and then look at all of my posts. As you can see, I do have a few... My other suggestion would be to google search different angles of the subject. These posts do show up on a google search. And finally the search function on this website. It is a little broad of a search. But my post in post #5 0r 6 on this thread pretty much sums it up. It is a great DAY boat with the occasional overnight. It is very challenged on living space for overnighting. Some people have different tolerances for comfort on a boat. And like I have said before, you have to be very honest on how you are going to use the boat....the whole thing about the reality versus the dream.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #44
TF Site Team

Here is the result of a search I did including the words "Baker" and "mainship". It may or may not be in here. It is "only" 3 pages worth of threads. Obviously some of those threads hae multiple pages.

Trawler Forum - Search Results
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #45

Pilot 30II

Thanks. I've been sailing for 38 years but purchased a Pilot 30 II in St Thomas shortly after Irma. She was in a boat yard and only the arch was damaged (we removed it). My son keeps her maintained and on a mooring but I'm his mainland support for parts and other resources. Otherwise I visit monthly and live aboard when I can. I enjoy the comfort above and below. I'll be picking through your posts and others as I get to know her better. Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
ljk

I bought my Pilot 34 as the smallest "true cruising" boat for a couple to live aboard for a week or 10 days. After 3 years, I have found it fits this bill admirably. Its very comfortable for a family of 4, but only for a long weekend. Even 34 feet gets small a lot more quickly than one would think!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #47
ljk

SW FL Mainship group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
There is/was an informal Mainship group in SW Florida that get together occasionally. Join the Yahoo Mainship group and search around a little or post a question. They would raft up in Pelican Bay or Captiva from time to time.

Have there been any meetings of this group lately? Wouldnt mind restarting one if there is enough interest?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #48

Mainship Pilot 30 II noise at high speeds

Looking for other Pilot 30 II owner's input here:
I have read threads describing the Pilot 30 II as noisy at high speed. One post described it as not engine noise as much as a harmonic from vibration.
My observation is above 15kts it sounds like a rattle somewhere aft of the engine, do all P 30 II owners hear this?
If not, I suspect it might be the rudder or strut to the rudder.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Manasquan NJ
Vessel Name: Mayrose
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 pilot
We have the blue hull in NJ. Never thought about heat gain.
Power is a 240 LH-STE, long cruising at 14 knots, 16 knots not at full power. I like to power for high current inlets but run the boat at hull speed most of the time.
We spend long weekends on our boat and really enjoy. Storage of gear needs to to managed---not a lot of extra space.
Working around the engine is a bit tight--my biggest complaint. Our boat doesn't have an access to the engine compartment from the cabin area.
For a starter boat, it has been a good size to get accustomed to a single inboard. We fish and dive --deck space accommodates those activities nicely.
We have a berth extension that really makes sleeping enjoyable.
I intend to cruise to New England this summer ( 8 days ).
Long term we will probably move up in size for longer cruising when we retire.
For now--very happy. If in the area this boating season, we would take you for a ride.
Greg
Beekeepergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #50
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcrowner View Post
Looking for other Pilot 30 II owner's input here:
I have read threads describing the Pilot 30 II as noisy at high speed. One post described it as not engine noise as much as a harmonic from vibration.
My observation is above 15kts it sounds like a rattle somewhere aft of the engine, do all P 30 II owners hear this?
If not, I suspect it might be the rudder or strut to the rudder.
That was more of a complaint of the older Pilots due to prop clearance. I had the pleasure of owning my Pilot 30 II while a close friend owned a 1998 Pilot 30. Trust me, the newer version is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the older one. And it sounded exactly like you describe....like the whole boat was going to rattle apart....it never did... So while the newer version could not be described as whisper quiet, it was a major improvement over the old one. My friend would marvel at the lack of noise every time he rode on my boat. He would just shake his head. One of the major reasons for the redesign(hence the Pilot II) was to get rid of that vibration. They did it with a tunnel and a 5 blade prop.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #51
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Downsizing from a Grand Banks 42 to this 30 P II has been a bit of a downer for my wife, but then she was not the one doing all the maintenance on that twin-engined, all-wood wonder for 29 years! I am quite happy with this boat, and we have spent up to six days aboard happily marina hopping. Ours is a hardtop with a 3.5 Nextgen genny and a 315 Yanmar so it is heavier by about a thousand pounds than the softer topped 30 P II. I think the higher HP is necessary for what I want out of the boat which is 16-19 MPH cruise buring 8.1 to 9 GPH (I have a Floscan) at 2800-3000 RPM. I had to back off two inches to 22 inches of pitch on the five bladed 22 inch diameter because at 24 inches of pitch, the engine was sooting the side of the boat and was 200 RPM short of the specified 3800 RPM at wide open throttle. We lost 1.5 MPH at cruise speed and have a very clean side now. When long-term flooding of the drip pan under the air conditioner due to clogged drains caught up with the 7K Btu air conditioner, I replaced it with a Dometic Turbo 10K Btu unit. The old ac would simple not cool below 80F in warm summer water here with direct sun on the red hull. This new unit does fine and is SOOOO quiet. We also have a 13.5K Btu RV style rooftop unit in the hardtop which on a realy bad summer day with the enclosure curtains fully zipped up makes for comfy running. We can run both units with our little genny because I have installed Micro-Air soft starting micro-processors in both air conditioners - no more THUD every time an air conditioner compressor comes on.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #52
TF Site Team

In about 2008 they came out with the Pilot 31. I absolutely love what they did with that boat. They moved the galley out into the cockpit which freed up a lot of space down below without any real sacrifice. They made use of space that was otherwise not used and the outside cockpit area was made into a more relaxed "inside space" while still retaining the ability for it to be outside space as well. There are only two on the market at this time and not many were made as Luhrs Mainship was going out of business around that time. They do fetch good money on the used market.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #53

City: Wimauma
Vessel Name: My Chele
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
The 240 has plenty of power.
shardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #54
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardy View Post
The 240 has plenty of power.
I agree. Mine easily cruised at 15 knots without breaking a sweat. I actually was underpropped as well so might have been able to squeeze another knot if I wanted to get precis with prop pitch. And it burned 6gph at 15knots at 2800rpms. Not bad for a larger planing boat. When I would average my fuel burn on a mostly day trip basis it was 4gph....due to all of the slow speeds in between planing speeds.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Waterford CT
Great post. There is no right or wrong answers here.

I struggled with the MS34 vs MS30 desision and ended up the the MS30. At the time I was looking (8 years ago) it was all about price point vs boat condition since I had kids in college. The MS34's we looked at were $100k+ and required work. I found a MS30 that was a freshwater boat and turnkey for $60ki-sh. She came with the Cummins 6BT 220hp which has been great. No vibrations -however loud because MS did not completely sound damp the engine room. I added Soundown insulation and now significantly quieter.

Every summer my wife and I spend every weekend we can and a week to 10 days on an extended cruise between CT and Maine.

What we find limiting on the 30 is the small holding tank which we manage closely.

The best upgrade I have done is the addition of an autopilot.

Like others have said I would have liked more room in the 34 but we made it work.
willpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Willpep,
Do you have a MS30 pilot or MS30 pilot 2?
What prop do you have? Shaft extension?
You know where I a going.
We are cruising up your way this summer.
Can you recommend a good marina for a 1 night layover?
Your area is a good midway point to the Cape for us.

Hope to see you on the water.
Greg
Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #57

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
As to noise at high speed we have found the hardtop louder than the soft top, plus the side ventilation is a challenge with the solid windows. That said we prefer the hardtop and have no issue cruising at 12 and holding a conversation.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #58
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeepergreg View Post
Willpep,
Do you have a MS30 pilot or MS30 pilot 2?
Greg
I am gonna guess the Pilot 1. I don't think the Pilot II came with the Cummins 220.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Waterford CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I am gonna guess the Pilot 1. I don't think the Pilot II came with the Cummins 220.
Yes. She is a year 2000 Pilot 1.

There are many good marinas in the area. However I would recommend Shennecossett Yacht Club which has great facilities and transients are welcome.

https://www.syc-ct.com/facilities/dockage/

The dock masters name is Chris.

Let me know if you stay at SYC and I will buy you a beer or soft drink
v/r
Bill
willpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Bill,
What a perfect place to break up the trip to the Cape.
It will be fun to compare boats and setups.
Thanks
Greg