Mainship leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drogers100

Veteran Member
Hello,
I have a 1999 43' Mainship that has a leak that discolors the head liner in the main salon. I've rebedded the captains seat as well as the table and recaulked the joint beneath the helm station.
I only seem to get the leak when it rains heavily.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Welcome aboard. The problem is that it may take a long time for the water to show up so running a hose and putting water on different places may or may not help show where the leak is. Have you tried covering areas with some plastic to eliminate them as the possible leak? Maybe put some plastic on areas you suspect and see if the leak still shows up. It can be very frustrating since it may take several tries to narrow it down. Compass Marine has some very good DIY articles on bedding fittings. Good luck.

They aren’t really videos, just a written article with photos but they are really good.

Sounds like my windows. They only leak when it rains! LOL

pete

The leak is in the center of the head liner in the salon so above the top of the windows...
It actually seems like it is below the starboard seating area but I don't see anywhere the fiberglass looks damaged.
Thanks

Is your flybridge fully enclosed? If not then I would take a good look at the table and helm seat mounts.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I think I've found the leak, a small crack in the gelcoat in the nonskid area. As soon as temperature allows I'll grind it out and repair the gelcoat.
I have the boat shrink-wrapped now so I won't know the answer until spring.
Thanks again!

I think I've found the leak, a small crack in the gelcoat in the nonskid area. As soon as temperature allows I'll grind it out and repair the gelcoat.

Thanks again!

Here’s another possibility for the leaky headliner and moisture damage coming from your flybridge. There are two thumb-sized holes on each side of my 2004 MS 400 flybridge that are built into the outside wall of the molded seating. These holes were designed to provide ventilation to the storage area beneath the seats. We discovered that the “holes” are supposed to be sealed so no water gets between the seating hole and the fly bridge hole.
Here is a pic looking out from underneath the molded seat towards the ventilation hole.
Look closely/zoom in on the hole.
There are really two holes.
The leak was stopped by sealing the inner seat hole and the outer fly bridge hole.

IMG_2181.jpg

T MacDonnell
Bay Retriever
2004 MS 400

Thanks again!

Stress cracks don’t usually cause leaks unless they are really big ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom