Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
JackD's Avatar
 
City: York River, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 82
Mainship group on Facebook

Howdy folks. This is a great forum for Mainship knowledge. But if you use Facebook, please consider also joining our Mainship Owner's Group on there too. We've got nearly 400 members now. We share photos and even some technical advice these days.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1693844340850251/

Thanks!
Jack
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Regards,
Jack & Julie Dooley
Big Fish ~ York River, VA
02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member
 
Tamrow's Avatar
 
City: New Haven
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 73
I joined a while ago and enjoy reading other Mainship owners stories and seeing their boats!
__________________

Tamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD View Post
Howdy folks. This is a great forum for Mainship knowledge. But if you use Facebook, please consider also joining our Mainship Owner's Group on there too. We've got nearly 400 members now. We share photos and even some technical advice these days.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1693844340850251/

Thanks!
Jack
Why not just do it here on TF?
Mainship Owners Forum + Community - Albums - Groups ...

And you have the advantage of many more folks + the Library with common systems like engines, gens, etc vs only MS owners to tap into for info & help.
I don't see the advantage of multiple platforms & sites to go to vs one stop shop

Everybody over on the MS Yahoo site says there is too much info there to walk away but it's next to impossible - and nobody actually searches for any prior info
Just my opinion
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Why not just do it here on TF?
Mainship Owners Forum + Community - Albums - Groups ...

And you have the advantage of many more folks + the Library with common systems like engines, gens, etc vs only MS owners to tap into for info & help.
I don't see the advantage of multiple platforms & sites to go to vs one stop shop

Everybody over on the MS Yahoo site says there is too much info there to walk away but it's next to impossible - and nobody actually searches for any prior info
Just my opinion


The Yahoo site is a mess. No pictures in your message. Non threaded format. No searching.

As Don notes, some say that there is too much info to leave behind, but I can't use any of those files and pictures. I posted a group of pictures on modifying the riser height on the Yanmar 6LY in my Pilot 34 about four years ago. I defy someone to find those today.

The level of expertise on the Yahoo site is a fraction of what you will find on this TF site. Real gearheads hang out here and will help you with any problem.

The only thing that I have found useful on the Yahoo site is if I have a question of history- how, why Mainship did what they did. The larger Mainship membership helps with getting that answer. But that would be solved if all of the Yahoo members came over to TF.

And forget Facebook. It has all of the limitations of the Yahoo site and then some.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post


The Yahoo site is a mess.

The level of expertise on the Yahoo site is a fraction of what you will find on this TF site.


The only thing that I have found useful on the Yahoo site is if I have a question of history- how, why Mainship did what they did. The larger Mainship membership helps with getting that answer. But that would be solved if all of the Yahoo members came over to TF.

And forget Facebook. It has all of the limitations of the Yahoo site and then some.

David
The most frequent post I've seen on MSYahoo is " where can I find a replacement part"?
The other thing I believe comforts the participants is they get several quick responses... but I often don't see the quality in responses vs here on TF.
But we are preaching to the choir...
I don't really expect many to change but that doesn't prevent me from the occasional comment on the Yahoo site.
And I have no interest in bookface
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member
 
Tamrow's Avatar
 
City: New Haven
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 73
JackD, apparently you're sharing to a tough crowd here. I'm sure there are some other Mainship owners here besides me who may be comfortable with Facebook who may enjoy the group.
Tamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamrow View Post
JackD, apparently you're sharing to a tough crowd here. I'm sure there are some other Mainship owners here besides me who may be comfortable with Facebook who may enjoy the group.
Nothing personal intended...
I get it that lots of folks enjoy FB and that's A-OK
I don't have grandkids and don't find it useful to me.
I can get all the interaction I want on forums like TF & iRV2 for my boating and motorhoming interests but that's just me.
I enjoy the info/ technical exchange MUCH more than the social aspect.
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Why not just do it here on TF?
Mainship Owners Forum + Community - Albums - Groups ...
I agree. It's kind of tacky to advertise in one forum that people should move to another forum (site). You wouldn't walk into a restaurant and announce to everyone that they should consider a competitor next door.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 994
Yeah, I gave up on the Yahoo site a long time ago. I don't mind checking out the FB group, the more the merrier, but I think this is the best format to share info.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I agree. It's kind of tacky to advertise in one forum that people should move to another forum (site). You wouldn't walk into a restaurant and announce to everyone that they should consider a competitor next door.
Sorry we disagree.
Some of the MS Yahoo noobees don't realize there are other options.
I respond and provide info when where possible on both and either link to info on my website or to a post on TF that allows pics, searching etc.
I've put some effort into providing the full set of part photos for multi MS models / yrs. I chose to do it in the TF library section and my own website as it doesn't seem doable or worth the effort on Yahoo
Happy to share info & experience.
If you would rather post on YAHOO than here on TF....please feel free.
If you aren't interested in alternate info sources stay w Yahoo
And no problem if you think it is superior or you like snap chap book face or any other platform. We are all entitled to opinions...I don't recall signing any exclusivity agreement.
And besides... the post you quoted was posted here on TF complimenting this establishment... I certainly would not have any problem complimenting an establishment I was in.
If you like Yahoo soooo much why are you here? ??
end of venting.
And I'll appologize for being snarky but won't delete my opinions.
I think your comment is as off base as you felt mine was.
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member
 
JackD's Avatar
 
City: York River, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I agree. It's kind of tacky to advertise in one forum that people should move to another forum (site). You wouldn't walk into a restaurant and announce to everyone that they should consider a competitor next door.
Sorry if you are offended. I certainly didn't suggest anyone "move". Just consider joining the group if you happen to use Facebook. Tacky?
__________________
Regards,
Jack & Julie Dooley
Big Fish ~ York River, VA
02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: tallahassee
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 257
There's alot of info on the yahoo group but it's torture to use.

I really like the layout of facebook groups with pictures, video, and discussion. Only thing I don't like is the lack of anonymity.. Some people might not want their boat advertised to everyone they know and don't know.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member
 
JackD's Avatar
 
City: York River, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
There's alot of info on the yahoo group but it's torture to use.

I really like the layout of facebook groups with pictures, video, and discussion. Only thing I don't like is the lack of anonymity.. Some people might not want their boat advertised to everyone they know and don't know.
The only people that can see your identity or your posts are the members of the group. If you don't want "strangers" seeing things on your personal FB profile, there are plenty of ways to restrict what "non-friends" can see.

I had to leave Yahoo. Like you said, tons of good info. But the admin refused to allow attachments I believe because he felt like everyone would could get a virus or something. TF definitely has great members and content, and FB can be a nice COMPLEMENT (not alternative) and contrary to what some folks think, you can even search on FB for previous posts.
__________________
Regards,
Jack & Julie Dooley
Big Fish ~ York River, VA
02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Sorry we disagree.
Some of the MS Yahoo noobees don't realize there are other options.
I respond and provide info when where possible on both and either link to info on my website or to a post on TF that allows pics, searching etc.
I've put some effort into providing the full set of part photos for multi MS models / yrs. I chose to do it in the TF library section and my own website as it doesn't seem doable or worth the effort on Yahoo
Happy to share info & experience.
If you would rather post on YAHOO than here on TF....please feel free.
If you aren't interested in alternate info sources stay w Yahoo
And no problem if you think it is superior or you like snap chap book face or any other platform. We are all entitled to opinions...I don't recall signing any exclusivity agreement.
And besides... the post you quoted was posted here on TF complimenting this establishment... I certainly would not have any problem complimenting an establishment I was in.
If you like Yahoo soooo much why are you here? ??
end of venting.
And I'll appologize for being snarky but won't delete my opinions.
I think your comment is as off base as you felt mine was.
I thought I was agreeing with you. In fact, I actually started my reply with " I Agree". From reading your post (above), it sounds like you're agreeing with me. Please allow me try to attempt to clarify.

I think it is tacky to submit a post on Trawler Forum suggesting people move to another forum. I don't mind if it's to a sister forum owned by the same company, such as 'CruisersForum' (which is sailing oriented). Particularly if posts would be more appropriate over there.

Incidentally, nobody asked you to delete your opinions. You're entitled to them. Are we still not seeing eye to eye? I hope we are.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
City: Kilmarnock VA
Country: united states
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 440
JackD, thank you for making us aware of the Facebook site. That's what this site is all about, sharing information. Nobody should get twisted if I share a link to a boat gizmo manufacture if they aren't a TF sponsor and they shouldn't scold you for telling us about an alternative MS group.
Me, I've become disenchanted with Facebook over the last few years but that's my problem. Nothing wrong with it for lots of others.My wife just registered or whatever it is she needed to do so maybe it'll come in handy for us.
__________________
-Shawn-

https://shawnandlizboats.blogspot.com/
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #16
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I thought I was agreeing with you. In fact, I actually started my reply with " I Agree". From reading your post (above), it sounds like you're agreeing with me. Please allow me try to attempt to clarify.

I think it is tacky to submit a post on Trawler Forum suggesting people move to another forum. I don't mind if it's to a sister forum owned by the same company, such as 'CruisersForum' (which is sailing oriented). Particularly if posts would be more appropriate over there.

Incidentally, nobody asked you to delete your opinions. You're entitled to them. Are we still not seeing eye to eye? I hope we are.
Shrew
My apologies...
I guess I misinterpreted the comment re: Tacky.

Personally I don't see a problem posting on one site about another site.
I've done it myself on the MS Yahoo site - it stinks and the sole owner / moderator refuses to interact w/ members.
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
I left the Yahoo Mainship group about three years ago. I like TF much better. Seems to be a greater depth of knowledge here at TF.
tumblehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,198
As I see it, FB, Yahoo and TF serve very different purposes for various groups with very different platforms.

FB tends to be more social, less technical with no database search. Great for telling your friends what you did today and what you are thinking about this moment, but it's not a place to glean technical knowledge or find technical assistance.

Yahoo is divided more into specific groups by interest with a system that allows the user to view a history of post threads, but it's tough to find old advice, so previously addressed stuff gets brought up regularly. It's also much less social than FB.

TF incorporates the best of both, social and technical, and beats both in its searchable database. Also, the level of respectable disagreement is much higher on TF than any others I've encountered. Some of that credit goes to the mod team, but most goes to the community's self-moderation and maturity. It's what sets us apart, IMO.

Each can meet the distinct needs of its own group, but for folks who prefer sensible, mature, helpful and wise advice in a social setting of like-minded people, it's tough to beat Trawler Forum.

Cheers!

Edit: OK, tell the truth....how many of you guys floated your mouse over or clicked the word "respectable" b/c it was underlined, thinking it was a link?
__________________

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012